GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old December 19th 2011, 05:16

Good choice on the interior colour Rik, going to look really nice.

They often say dark colour car, light colour interior and visa versa so I think it's spot on. You're going to enjoy driving this beast around next year!
Old December 22nd 2011, 14:30

Seat backs after a lot of work with paint stripper, etch and high-build primer

before finally getting the body colour top coats..

More sound deadening pads fitted to the floor panels and new MDF trim panels made up to fit speakers under the back seat

Door membranes to stop the new door panels suffering from water damage (I've also painted them in yacht varnish before I give them to the trimmer)

Automotive underlay cut to shape for the floor, only lightly glued in case they need to be removed to dry out if I ever get caught out by rain!

The first piece of carpet going in. I've spent far too much time planning the layout in my head to minimise joins and exposed edges to give it a more OEM look.

First panel finished...

Then on to the tunnel section. I bonded on a metal reinforcement to the handbrake hole, this means I can fit the standard type rubber which will hide the cut edge nicely and the hole won't get opened up. A bit of foam also stops any potential rattles.

Passenger bit now done, just behind the back seat to sort out. Still undecided what to do about under the bonnet

Front end done. The floor and bulkhead panels will go to the trimmer to have the edges bound.
Old December 22nd 2011, 21:44

Looking very nice!!!

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old January 30th 2012, 15:25

While waiting for the trimmer I've taken the engine/trans out to sort out a minor oil weap and am now considering fitting an LSD I was given with the trans. Can anybody help with an ID on this diff?
There are some serial numbers on it but nothing that rings any bells with me.

For info, the friction discs all measure 2.62mm and the 'stack' requires 2.5mm compression to bolt down.

Cheers for any help!
Rich

Last edited by ricola; January 30th 2012 at 16:57.
Old January 30th 2012, 16:32

What trans did it come out of?
The sloped hole does seem to indicate an extremely aggressive LSD function like 40%/100% or something. I can't really place it.
Construction wise it looks like my LSD in a lot of ways, but it is different. The plates are older design as well. What trans?
Old January 30th 2012, 16:36

I was told it was G50 but I really don't know for sure hence me asking... Was hoping you'd reply with your recent experience! If it's that agressive maybe I shouldn't fit it, mine's a street car first and foremost..
Old January 30th 2012, 16:53

Well, the flange where the crown wheel comes does look very much like mine wrt bolt holes and the 3 set screws.
Originally mine came with copper disks (copper junk according to Paul Guard LOL), but I have a really late one, so yours might just as well be original for the year as I have very little reference then that freak one I put in. So, better don't take my word for it wrt percentage slip judgement ;-)
Maybe ask on Pelican forums? I am sure they can tell you what it exactly is.
Old January 30th 2012, 17:01

This one only has 2 set screws holding the halves of the housing together which might help identifying it?
Old January 30th 2012, 17:13

Could be, unfortunately not by me LOL
Old March 4th 2012, 10:03

The ramps show it is out of a 964 RS/turbo which means 20% lock on acceleration and 100% lock on overun. This has really helped the car feel much more predictable and also stable, especially after the suspension unloads after hard acceleration. I was going to have a go at fitting it myself but was unable to measure everything accurately enough. The trans had different brands of bearing either side of the differential so during the swap I had to replace: bearings, ring gear bolts (longer on LSDs), seals, oil, shims. With labour that lot added up to £580!!!

The main reason for taking the engine out (other than boredom waiting for the trimmer), was to sort out a minor oil leak coming from behind the engine, a very common fault with subarus.

Here's the updated subaru part, steel plate and new screws fitted with a sealant. The black screw is supplied with dry loctite on it, forgot to look why, probably as it was a through hole so needed sealing?

After being messed about by 'Car Audio Centre' for the best part of two months (avoid them at all costs!!) I bought a secondhand head unit from a friend. I wanted Alpine to go with my steering wheel controls. I ended up with an IDA-X001 which is a media head unit with graphic display and ipod/iphone controls. Rather than use a wire and screen mount I have hacked up a dock which fits snuggly into the ashtray with minimal mods.

Happy with how it looks! Lucky this head unit has the main control centrally so out of the way of the phone. I'll use it for satnav and music as well as keeping my phone charged.
Old March 6th 2012, 00:29

had a quick question on your build. im using the same gauges in my 1303 build. do you happen to have/ or know where i can find the wiring diagram for the pigtail that comes off the gauge that has all the warning lights/ temp/ fuel level? awsome build btw! keep up the good work!
Old March 6th 2012, 12:49

Send me an email with yours and I'll send you the excel file...
Old March 6th 2012, 22:02

thanks man. ill PM you my email.
Old March 20th 2012, 10:14

Hei Ricola!

Beautiful car! I am building my 1303 with Porsche Boxster seats. Sad I haven't seen your way of mounting them before now... Your mounts looks really clean and easy to build while mine are bigger, heavier and takes more place.

Could you please give some more pics of how it was done with some "prescription"? How did you find the right positions for rear bolts and whats the hight of you sitting position.

Boxster seats are so low that I needed to build pretty high mounting bracket. But I also struggle with body on pan. Is it possible to make your type mounts with full body car?

Hope you can help with some experience
Old March 20th 2012, 14:41

I mocked up my seats so I could get the seat as far back as possible with full adjustment to the rear, there is plenty of fore/aft travel. Height is just a case of experimenting but you should see the relative heights to the tunnel on mine. The front mount isn't really high enough for support under the leg so I have also made spacers for the driver's seat to get the best position.

My chassis is so modified from stock and the front seat mount is structural so I don't think this is feasible in a stock bug as there would be a lot of extra weight with much less strength by the heater channel end. I think on a stock bug I'd be tempted to adapt the seat to the VW runners which would be neater and much narrower. The Porsche mechanism only just fits within the width of the heater channel so mounting from the floorpan is tricky. There are plenty of others running Porsche seats on here, see what they do?

News from me: all the interior is with a new trimmer and we have chosen materials, just hope I have better luck this time! Shooting for end of April..