GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old February 24th 2005, 18:24

What offset for 7" or 7.5" wide?

If this question has been answered, please direct me to that thread.

I have a 73 standard bug with 944 disc conversion (with 2.5" dropped spindles) and a stock front beam. The back has been lowered 2" as well.

I want to fit either 7" or 7.5" wide wheels under the stock front fenders. What would be the best offset for these wheels, front and back (obviously, I'd like to retain a decent turning radius).

The 944 kit moves the wheel location out 1" per side, so this would eliminate the need for a spacer, correct? Let me know if I'm wrong!
Old February 26th 2005, 03:43

Would 45mm offset fit under stock arches and still keep a good turning radius? If not, what would be better?
Old February 26th 2005, 08:15

It is very hard to say unless you find someone with the exact same setup (as I had trouble working out offset required when planning my wheel choice).

I started with stock width b/j beam (68 pan, 63 body) and 17x7.5in cup 3 replicas. The tucked inside stock fenders nicely but turning circle was shocking. I think you may struggle fitting 45 offset wheels under stock fenders unless you narrow the beam.

I have since had to narrow a beam 80mm (3 and a bit inches), and now have to work out how wide the spacers will need to be to regain turning circle but still fit inside fender edge. I used CB dropped spindles and CB front disc kit.

Cheers
Alan
Old February 27th 2005, 11:13

you can see some pics of my car on the VKG site. mine is a '73 standard with stock beam, 951 calipers and 911 Carrera discs on 2.5" dropped spindles. fenders are 2" wide and i am using a 1.5" spacer. wheels are 7ET55.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old March 1st 2005, 15:14

What is the best track width for optimum turning radius? I'm now thinking of narrowing the front beam 2" with some ET 40mm-45mm 7 in wheels. Will this give me a poor turning circle, or will it be OK?
Old March 13th 2005, 08:22

My spacers will have to be around 16-20mm (will work it out exactly soon) to regain turning circle (in combination with the 80mm narrowed beam).

In response to your question, because every setup is slightly different (brakes, spindles, pan/beam used, body, fender width etc etc)....it would only be a guess if you'd have a good turning circle unless you find someone with exactly the same setup. Here is the clearance on my beetle - stock fender width with the aforementioned suspension setups.

Old May 3rd 2005, 14:17

hey I have a file I've been working on to help determine this stuff, want to see it? Although it's not finished. I need some input from people who have already finished so I can figure some stuff out, but most of it is good.

This way if you wanted you could simpliy compare the clearance with some one else who says they have good turning. Plus it calculates the turning radius for you.
Old May 3rd 2005, 14:27

using zen's dimensions he has

11mm less clearance at the arms (compared to stock)
40mm less clearance at the outer fender (compared to stock)

but with 2" wider fenders they really tuck in about 10mm.

and the turning radius increases 6.5% 18 ft to about 19.3ft

PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE CALCULATIONS ARE NOT COMPLETELY ACCURATE

Last edited by rip; May 3rd 2005 at 14:39.
Old May 3rd 2005, 14:34

using Dasdubber's dimensions before the narrow and spacers he has

62mm less clearance at the arms (compared to stock)
2mm less clearance at the outer fender (compared to stock)

and the turning radius increases 37.3% 18 ft to about 28.7ft

After

40mm less clearance at the arms (compared to stock)
16mm more tuck at the outer fender (compared to stock)

and the turning radius increases 24.9% 18 ft to about 23.9ft

PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE CALCULATIONS ARE NOT COMPLETELY ACCURATE

Last edited by rip; May 3rd 2005 at 14:39.
Old May 3rd 2005, 14:37

but with out some sort of indication about how much can one narrow the beam without inner fender rub, the turning circle is currently based on the spacers.

with more input of how far a person can narrow with out clearance issuses I could factor that in and then I could tell you based on the full setup your clearances, turning circle, and rub factor.
Old May 5th 2005, 01:22

I've fitted many rims to late model Std. Beetles, from stock height to ~8" lower than stock...the practical limit up front with stock fenders is 5.5" - in most cases you can squeeze 6" in there and still retain an almost stock turning circle though.

With an entirely stock width BJ front end you don't want to exceed much past ~125mm backspace and/or ~45mm frontspace.

If you want a 7" wheel under the stock fender @ 2.5" lower than stock and your front trackwidth is 2" greater than stock you're looking for a wheel with an offset of ~70mm or greater - There's one style of OE Porsche wheel that I know of that comes close...16x7 ET65 - but they're not exactly stylish by most peoples standards. It'll be one hell of a challenge to get them under stock fenders with a stock width beam, and even if you narrow the beam or find a wheel with the correct offset your turning radius will still suffer too much for my taste. So I'll tell you what I tell nearly everyone, get wider fenders.

As far as the back goes...most people go with 7" ET40 for stock IRS/fenders; if your rear track is also 2" wider than stock than you're basically right at 7" ET65.