GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old April 29th 2005, 19:40

Whats the hot setup?

Hello, this is my first post but I have been reading alot trying to figure out what the best all-around setup is for Porsche brakes on my '70 bug.

What I have in mind is 944 turbo 4-piston front calipers and I would like to go with 944 trailing arms and brakes. Now with this I have run into a few questions that I think you guys can answer, so here goes:
1.What seems to be the best master cylinder to go with, stock, 944, 911, Iduno?
2.If I went with the 944 trailing arms will I need to go with wider fenders if I were to use 17'' cup 2's?, and if so how wide?
3.Is it evan worth going with the 4-piston calipers or should I look into the 2pistons or the sliders? I am a circuit race driver and plan on running this thing hard, with the ocasional track day. How much braking is really necesary with a 2000lb. car, the american lotus Elise only has 2 piston front brakes and it is simialr in weight.
4.If you guys have any other insight into this (I hope you do) I would love to hear any thing (good or bad) that you have to say. "your 2-cents" please.

Thanks for your time,
Chad Schley
O.C. Cali.
Old April 30th 2005, 13:21

ditto. I've had similar questions myself. It would be nice to get a sticky with a set of best combos, from a standard 4 wheel disc conversion all the way up to 998 Turbo stuff. I'm guessing if everyone throws in there experience we can distill it all down to a good sticky that can get modified as experiences change.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old April 30th 2005, 15:04

1.What seems to be the best master cylinder to go with, stock, 944, 911, Iduno?

----depends on the application many options out there, from Porsche or even modern VW, I believe Old Speed in Paramount makes an adaptor for a Jetta MC

2.If I went with the 944 trailing arms will I need to go with wider fenders if I were to use 17'' cup 2's?, and if so how wide?

----They do widen the track how much not sure, do a search.

3.Is it evan worth going with the 4-piston calipers or should I look into the 2pistons or the sliders? I am a circuit race driver and plan on running this thing hard, with the occasional track day. How much braking is really necesary with a 2000lb. car, the american lotus Elise only has 2 piston front brakes and it is simialr in weight.

----braking is one of the better modifications, in my mind. This is because even though 4 pots are over kill in a light car, I know even under the heaviest braking I will not have as much fade. Under race conditions I would not hesitate to go bigger brakes. I went with 4 pots.

4.If you guys have any other insight into this (I hope you do) I would love to hear any thing (good or bad) that you have to say. "your 2-cents" please.

----Here's a question for you, why Porsche brakes? I know that they are popular. And I understand some of the reasons why many people on this forum use them, but I just want you to know there is an alternative. I went with Mazda Rx7 brakes, thank you Lanner. There are a few reasons and hopefully they will get the old grey matter to move.

First was because of the cost, yea Porsche brake are nice and German, but often even rebuild kits can be costly.

And I found that many people look through yards to find parts. I was a bit nervous trying to find parts on a Porsche if not now in the future. While the Rx7 is relatively new, and I’ve been able to find parts pretty easily. Been to the yard twice, at a pick your part, and each time walked out with a pair of 4 pot calipers and rotors for under 60 bucks.

Parts like mentioned are pretty available, Mazda aftermarket stores are easily accessible online and you should have some locally. Mazdatrix is where I go, long beach.

The Rx7 turbo, or 3 gen brake are considered to be some of the best stock brake out there. Using 4 pot calipers, 32mm if I remember, and 296mm discs. Pretty good for stock.

Not to mention Lanner from Vdubcustoms now makes a bolt on kit.

http://www.vdubcustoms.com/Wedo/mazdabrakes.htm

I too will be joining the SCCA after my car is done. And I'd rather go too big on brakes, instead of not having enough. But also note that depending on what class you want to run some modification will not be allowed.

Good luck
Rip
Old April 30th 2005, 17:07

Thanks Rip,
The RX7 turbo brakes seem to be a good value and I am sure that they work very well, I just like the idea of German brakes on a German car. Thanks for the link to vdubcustoms, I think I will use their kit for the 944t brakes as soon as I find a set of calipers.
Does anyone on here know a good Porsche salvage site to get 944t calipers? I've tried a few and all they seem to have is 993 brakes and not a lot of older stuff.
thanks
Chad Schley
Old April 30th 2005, 21:41

no problem, I beleive ebay may turn up some older porsche parts
Old May 11th 2005, 16:23

RIP, what have you installed on the rear? Ebrake?
Louis