GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old January 23rd 2013, 00:09
Administrator

Time for some collective bench racing...

When I started the 1302 Rally Beetle project, it was inside a notebook about two years before I actually bought metal and started cutting. Some members (Joel, for instance) were in on the idea from day one as I bounced ideas and thoughts around. I'm almost itching to start my next project (not that the rally beetle is "finished"), but have to get an Audi project out of the way first. I have, however, started a "German-Look" notebook...which means another Beetle is in the pipeline. I am torn on whether I should do a 1303, or use a standard front-beam beetle. A 1303 is certainly the more traditional choice for a German Look. I've actually come to love the curved window, the more aerodynamic shape. And while I hate the dash with a passion...that can always be replaced with a Porsche look FG unit. If one were to build a "textbook" GL, I don't think you could argue against the 1303 being the 'proper' choice. The problem, at least as far as I'm concerned, is I already own a 1975 Standard Beetle.

Now, I'm going to remove the question of chassis design from the debate. Ignore, for my purposes, the handling differences between the strut and beam suspensions. If I do a standard beetle, I'll be cutting the front beam out and building a wishbone style suspension. Whether I go Mendola or my own design, the beam is not a factor. For the moment, we're focusing strictly on the visual aesthetics of each option.

A good friend of mine replied to the question by saying "even the best standard beetle done in the GL style doesn't 'look' right. It will never 'be' right, and you'll always think there is something 'missing'."

To assist with the debate, I present two of my favourite GL cars. The first, from VolksWorld June 2008

The Second, from VolksWorld Feb 2012:

So, is 1303 is the only "correct" German Look?
Is a standard cool, but not cool?
MacStrut or go home?

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old January 23rd 2013, 04:56

To me the German look is not the look but the ethos of performance. improve and refine the performance of the base car with out radically changing the base vehicle.
I used to think what would Porsche have done when doing any mods but now my preference is pure performance to i look further afield but i still try and hold true to the vw design be that a torsion bar or strut front end. both set ups can be made to work very well, far better than most of us can use fully on the road or track.
The next car i'm building is a 67 uk spec bug and the idea is a period car thats like a 356 in performance and handerling, to me thats a old school german look.
what ever it is it should be fun, after all why build a car if its not going to be used and enjoyed?
Old January 23rd 2013, 05:43

Got to be curved screen, other than them looking right as a GL, they have the aero advantage..
Can also get a lot more weight in the spare wheel well, coolers, battery etc to get it better balanced.
Old January 23rd 2013, 06:06

I think German Look fits both 1302/1303 and the 1200 well and I like both equally.There are certain parts that only look right on a 1303 like widened fenders (wings for UK) with a lip.For me however,Mirko´s 1303 is the pinacle of German Look (the blue 03 above).I had the privilege of seeing that car built from start to finish.Never has a bug with such modifications and hardcore race tech left Remmele´s shop,but there´s another even better one with a 3.2 Liter type 4 near completion now...
Basically, the only thing that is 1303 is the body and pan,and they are heavily modified also.I think a true GL should have a type 4 in it also.
Old January 23rd 2013, 12:35

Having gone the early route and then some personally, I have to say that as far as making a package work, the late cars are much easier comparatively, with a lot of mods being bolt on affairs. The weight packaging Rich mentioned is also important for balance. I'm stuck on the early cars for looks alone, but if you are happy with either than I would go with late.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old January 24th 2013, 06:43

Hi

After owning flat screen bugs all my life, I bought my first 1303 which I built up for my son about 5 years ago, I'm hooked but I hate the dash because it makes electrical work so hard.

I prefer the wheel fitment on the 1300 bug above to the wheel fitment on the 1303 above.

Steve
Old January 25th 2013, 04:57

Starting fresh, why not find a 1302 - best of both worlds. That would be my route if I could. As it happens I have the flat screen and as such will stick with that because its not about an all out car of any type, just something to enjoy
Old January 25th 2013, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgie View Post
To me the German look is not the look but the ethos of performance. improve and refine the performance of the base car with out radically changing the base vehicle.
I used to think what would Porsche have done when doing any mods..?
I think Rob nailed it pretty well, at least how I personally see it.
That said, the later the car(s), the better, more modern the techniques are/were with those to begin with, so the latest model/type cars would fit the above presumptions best.

Then again, with the huge modifications most of us make, starting with any model could yield minimally the same results.
After all, its what YOU make of it