GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old May 24th 2006, 12:01

Knock yourself out. This should be interesting, keep us updated.
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old May 24th 2006, 18:27

Hey Jason, ever see the TT with the twin engine setup? They actually figured all that crap out, single shifter ran both trannies, what a nightmare! Fast as stink, heavy as a tank, but different.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old May 24th 2006, 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelfantastic
Hey Jason, ever see the TT with the twin engine setup? They actually figured all that crap out, single shifter ran both trannies, what a nightmare! Fast as stink, heavy as a tank, but different.

Jeff-

I did! I think it was MTM. That thing was insane, literally. About $100k to I think.

Jason

PS, BTW, I think Jeff is probably the worst thread hijacker EVER!
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old May 24th 2006, 18:55

HEY! Wait just a doggone minute! My post was relevant to the conversation... sorta... kinda. Well at least this topic is why I thought about that crazy project.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old May 25th 2006, 21:59

hey hey well tha's sweet. send the link I want to see it.
Old May 28th 2006, 09:21

I think if you wanna "kill those rice burners", you'd put tons of japanese parts in your bug (your only chance is the subaru to build an AWD bug)..but you'll drop out lot of $$$ to build a "rice burner bug"...and it's only advantage is that it's something new. From that money you could bulid an extremly fast subaru + a nice daily driver bug.. Keep it aircooled? Forget it!
2 years ago I was planning to put a subaru engine in my bug. First i thought about an 1.8T from a '82er Subaru Leone (I know that in the States it has a different name, but I can't remember..maybe "Sedan" or stg like this) you can buy it very cheap and we were thinking about using it's own tranny and diff."s and everything..so we were planning to make a fully custom built 1.8T AWD Beast. Needed just 2 hours of thinking to realize that it won't work. just wanna let you know that one of the "group" was a well known person in the motorsport life who has bulit a lot of rallycross beasts..but not mine it's not impossible, but requires plenty of time+$$$+subarus Just to end the story, than I wanted an EJ20T in it, than an EJ25/EJ20and finally I'll run with a 2.0L type4 simply on the rear wheels....so be careful with the "big dreams, big ideas"

Last edited by Bogara_ZO; May 28th 2006 at 09:25.
Old May 28th 2006, 15:13

Not really sure I'll agree with you...

In the 80's there was one rally Superbeetle that was AWD. It ran a 2,3 something Type-4, turbo, 80's spec. fuel injection (8 coldstart injectors..), TRW transmission. 0-60mph in 2,3 seconds on dirtroads... It was a fullbody Super.

The 80's Group-B rallycars had no chance what so ever against it...

This all happened here in Finland..:agree:
Old May 28th 2006, 16:55

haha that's sweet see that's something that I want to have how did the AWD work in it do you know??
thANKS.
Old May 28th 2006, 19:48

Well, just like any rearengine AWD.... Transmission design was basically the same as on bugs and rear engine Porsches. Only difference was the custom made axle to the front. I dont remember what parts were used in the front though..

I still suggest the Vanagon option... Strong transaxle and all parts available..:agree:
Old May 29th 2006, 00:03

Heb, don't encourage him. The rally car was probably $60k to build back then if you had someone do it.

I talked to a vanagon syncro guy today with a 1.8t VW motor in it at Bugorama. He does these conversions for a living. He says it is EASY to break first gear, and there are NO upgrade parts as far as he is aware. So, a syncro setup, while costing you plenty of time and money, will STILL not be able to handle anywhere near the power to "kill those riceburners" as well it will still tend to oversteer badly with the weight hanging off of the rear end.

I'm not even sure why I'm writing, I guess its in the hopes that chugabug will get a clue. If you want to build a fun bug, go for it. If you want to build a competitive autocrosser, look elsewhere. If you just want to blow $$$$$, take lot's of pictures so we can see it being spent.

Lazylongboarder is miles ahead of you in the planning department and he's starting from scratch after spending thousands on his stuff. You have to do some planning and research before you start something like this, and not just on GermanLook, because nobody here has done anything similar to this except Bobtail, me, and a couple others who are still in progress.

Here's something just so you get an idea how far you can go and never get there:

http://www.freewebs.com/dobergoose/picture.html

You can see how much work and though went into this, and it's never run.

Here's another, done by guys with plenty of fabrication experience:

http://www.centralvwaudi.com/Beetproj.htm

The project was sold non-functioning.

I'm not encouraging this in any way, but here are pics of the only AWD performance bug I'm aware of:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/G...811/index.html

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old May 29th 2006, 00:07

Heb, don't encourage him. The rally car was probably $60k to build back then if you had someone do it.

I talked to a vanagon syncro guy today with a 1.8t VW motor in it at Bugorama. He does these conversions for a living. He says it is EASY to break first gear, and there are NO upgrade parts as far as he is aware. So, a syncro setup, while costing you plenty of time and money, will STILL not be able to handle anywhere near the power to "kill those riceburners" as well it will still tend to oversteer badly with the weight hanging off of the rear end.

I'm not even sure why I'm writing, I guess its in the hopes that chugabug will get a clue. If you want to build a fun bug, go for it. If you want to build a competitive autocrosser, look elsewhere. If you just want to blow $$$$$, take lot's of pictures so we can see it being spent.

Lazylongboarder is miles ahead of you in the planning department and he's starting from scratch after spending thousands on his stuff. You have to do some planning and research before you start something like this, and not just on GermanLook, because nobody here has done anything similar to this except Bobtail, me, and a couple others who are still in progress.

Here's something just so you get an idea how far you can go and never get there:

http://www.freewebs.com/dobergoose/picture.html

You can see how much work and though went into this, and it's never run.

I'm not encouraging this in any way, but here are pics of the only AWD performance bug I'm aware of:

http://www.davesport.com/cgi-bin/davesport/old_bug.html

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old May 29th 2006, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebster52
Not really sure I'll agree with you...

In the 80's there was one rally Superbeetle that was AWD. It ran a 2,3 something Type-4, turbo, 80's spec. fuel injection (8 coldstart injectors..), TRW transmission. 0-60mph in 2,3 seconds on dirtroads... It was a fullbody Super.

The 80's Group-B rallycars had no chance what so ever against it...

This all happened here in Finland..:agree:
WOW, have you got any pics?? sounds impressive!

Do you know Atle Vik? he is from norway and years ago he bulit a bug with an RX-7 Wankel engine...on www.wrc.no you can find sweet videos of the car it's amazing that those engines can go till 10000 rpm...that red bug is just like speed motor bikes..you are waiting it to gear up but never happens If I bulit a drag bug it would be wankel-powered..
Old May 31st 2006, 21:59

Here you have the perfect frontaxle kit...

Porsche-964-911-Carrera-4-Allrad-Vorderachse
Old June 4th 2006, 07:24

Talking

that's sweet but I think that I'm going to use an 915 tranns with a padel shift kit