GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old April 8th 2010, 09:51

Custom Scooby Bug

After a bit of a change of direction as far as rear suspension goes the chassis is starting to take shape.

I spent last weekend mounting the gearbox and engine.

Just need to get the IRS brackets welded in now so I can get it rolling
Old April 8th 2010, 12:06

Looks like you got a good start going but there's a couple things the worry me.

1. The front nose cone mount will want to pull up with hard launches or acceleration and I'm worried the studs may pull out of the rubber bushing. Having the rear mounts attached to the motor instead of the bell housing move the fulcrum point and weaken the leverage but it's still worth considering.

2. The tranny and motor look like they are sitting back a bit so it might hit the body or you might have to cut the body for the engine to fit.

Aside from that you got any more info about the build? This thing will certain haul ass when your done.
Old April 8th 2010, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
Looks like you got a good start going but there's a couple things the worry me.

1. The front nose cone mount will want to pull up with hard launches or acceleration and I'm worried the studs may pull out of the rubber bushing. Having the rear mounts attached to the motor instead of the bell housing move the fulcrum point and weaken the leverage but it's still worth considering.

2. The tranny and motor look like they are sitting back a bit so it might hit the body or you might have to cut the body for the engine to fit.

Aside from that you got any more info about the build? This thing will certain haul ass when your done.
thanks for your interest mate.

1) the rubber mounts are Land rover engine mounts and are pretty heavy duty, so I don't think they will be pulled out.

2) the engine and box tilts back 4 degrees from horizontal, I am aware I will have to cut into the rear luggage area to accommodate the gearbox nosecone, so a little trimming is no big deal if it is needed.

As for the rest of the project, it is a 1972 bug and will be getting an EJ25 subaru non turbo engine.

Here is the original build thread, however much of it is completely changed from how I originally meant it to be, partly because it didn't look right and also some of the mods just didn't work

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=542899

Will keep updating here as I go.
Old April 9th 2010, 03:45

I'd be concerned about both mounts to be honest...
Agree with Humble about fronts, I'm sure on the Land Rover the mounts are designed to be in compression, but in this application all the torque reaction when you accelerate will be to lift the nose of the trans upwards.
The rears just look like they are on a big lever off the framehorn bolts too...
Old April 9th 2010, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola View Post
I'd be concerned about both mounts to be honest...
Agree with Humble about fronts, I'm sure on the Land Rover the mounts are designed to be in compression, but in this application all the torque reaction when you accelerate will be to lift the nose of the trans upwards.
The rears just look like they are on a big lever off the framehorn bolts too...
Thanks for your input, I'll take a look at the front mounts and see if I can find some more suitable ones.

As for the rear mount, there is a brace to be added to that mount which bolts onto the frame horns, you can just make out the mounting tab I have welded on under where the driveshafts come out of the gearbox.