GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 3rd 2006, 18:06

Ok so the good news is that my rack is in pretty good shape. Just a little rust, one factory burr on one of the racks teeth and a little wear on the pinion. Getting new bearings next week. Pinion wear on this rack consists of a burr edge along each tooth where each side meets the flat top of the tooth. This will need to be filed and removed. A basic diagram of this is attached to this post as viewed from the end on.

The bad new is that the foam stops are completely destroyed. Fell to peices because some mechanic or PO repacked the rack with a grease that was to caustic. I need to know how thick these peices are in centimeters. Are they both the same thickness or is one thicker. As it stands I am going to have to make new stops out of something. Perhaps some urethane......

Matt. One question which way did you drift the needle bearing out? From the inside out or the outside in? Plus any suggestion as to what tools to use to do this.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp pinion wear.bmp (70.1 KB, 47 views)
Pirate VW Services is looking for weber IDF and IDA carbs "to far gone to repair". We are also looking for 74 Super Beetle and later controll arms that are to badley bent to use or repair. PM for details.

Sevice with a yarrhhhh!

Last edited by The Pirate; October 4th 2006 at 00:56.