GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old May 2nd 2006, 08:29

Lowering a ball joint beam

Hi

I just bought a 73 1300 bug, it has 4 wheel drums, swing axle and twin port motor. Im going to do a few things to make it a little better to drive, fit some 6 inch Cookies and lower it a little.

When I lower the front Im just going to to turn the cut the beam and turn it. I will also fit shock extension so I can use stock shocks. How much should I turn the beam for about a 2.5 - 3 inch drop?

Im still working hard on my 1303 but there are a few VW shows coming up and Im tired of turning up in a non VW, plus I was getting shakes not driving a VW.

Steve
Old May 3rd 2006, 07:58

11mm (on both torsionbars) gives appr. 7cm drop.
Old May 4th 2006, 01:21

Steve C

Just my opinion, but cutting and turning the beam tubes seems like a ton of work to get a 2" to 3" drop. There are much easier options out there. I would look at one of the following options first.

1 - Why not just buy drop spindles from CB? They give a 2" drop and keep the ride quality of the original beam intact. Plus, if you ever wanted, you can simply bolt up your original spindles to the car and you’re "Stock" again.

or

2 - Install AVIS Adjusters, which give you the option of setting your ride height to whatever you want, depending upon where they get welded into the beam. You simply cut a slot in the beam and weld the adjuster over the slot. Much easier.

I plan on using a combination of this on my Ghia, as I will be buying a narrowed adjustable beam (Puma or similar) and I already have the CB Drop Spindles, which I will be getting fitted to the 4-pot Brembos.

Cheers,

Doug
Old May 4th 2006, 04:40

Hi

Thanks for the replies. Im doing this car on the cheap, every $ I spend on it is less I have to spend on my 1303 project and spending a few hours with a welder I dont mind.

I bought a pair of used disc brake spindles with calipers and rotors for $50 Au at recent swap.

Doug, Ive been told that the CB spindles have a bit of flex in them, it wouldnt bother me with this car but if I was going fast it could be a problem.

Steve
Old May 5th 2006, 15:21

Steve C

I've never heard of the Flex in the Spindles... Interesting . I wonder if there is anyone else out there that have come accross this?

Hey Flat, ever hear of this?

Cheers,

Doug