GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old October 14th 2010, 18:29

Top Gear USA filming

Yesterday I was in the audience for Top Gear USA filming down in Irvine, CA. It was a lot of fun and boring at the same time. I'll be in the first episode but I'm not sure if I'll be on camera yet. I can't say much about the episode itself but it is right on with the original Top Gear quality. They actually had a writer and producer I think, from Top Gear UK assisting the USA filming so it's got the same flavor. The hosts are 2 for 3, Rutledge and Adam are awesome in person and very funny. Those two already have a chemistry and I think it will come across in the final product. Tanner Foust is a lost cause, he's had 3 or 4 shows now and has never made a good host. He's a terrific guy but doesn't emote at all, and his performance is just wooden. I think Tanner will be the awkward part of season 1, and I hope they replace him for season 2.
Old October 17th 2010, 01:19

Cool! I love Top Gear on BBC America. (It's my revenge for my wife's HGTV ) I didn't know there was going to be a US version.

Thanks for the review. Do you know who will broadcast it, and when?
Old October 17th 2010, 13:05

It's going to be on the history channel and I think it starts in the middle to end of november.
Old October 19th 2010, 08:34

Hi

I went to Aussie version filming a couple of weeks ago, I agree boring with all the retakes etc but good fun.

Steve
Old October 19th 2010, 11:22

Though I will get tired of Tanner saying "Epic!" I'm looking forward to it, hot cars are just hot cars. I'd really be surprised if they make the guys do the same sort of insane challenges they do on Top Gear UK though...

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old October 20th 2010, 04:06
Administrator

I think that they could have come up with a better line up to host the show. Foust and Wood seem like 2 of the 3 stooges to me. I don't know much about the other guy. What is next, Stig's fat American cousin to do the test driving with a bucket of KFC riding shotgun.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old October 20th 2010, 23:09

From what I've seen and heard the crazy challenges are there but I don't think they will be crazy big on the first season. The ones I did see got a good reaction from everyone so I think it'll do well. Wood and Ferrara are natural car guys, though kind of unknowns to most. Most importantly, none of the hosts are perfect and a lot of their natural reactions come through.

Looks like the first air date is Nov. 21st and that should be the episode I attended
Old November 22nd 2010, 19:28
Administrator

Well the first one came off better than I thought it would given I don't really like 2 of the 3 hosts based on the work they have done in the past. The production crew are on their game.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old November 23rd 2010, 18:51

Give it a few episodes before you pass final judgment. They seem kind of awkward now and I'm hoping the settle into their roles quickly. If you ever watched the first season of top gear uk, you'd think this was a much better start.

I thought I was going to be in the first episode but it looks like I'll be in the second one. It's the episode with the evo x vs the skiers and the blind drift championship.
Old December 6th 2010, 21:10

Ok I reached for the remote and changed channel witout even notice it, I was bored. I know the show is new but unfortunatelly they have big shoes to fill. They really need loose up because right know I see them as robots reading cards. No emotions, no passion.
I can imagine the big hit this show can be with Leno or Allen at the front.
I had checked their site and the message board is flooded with messages requesting to replace the host. Hope they can inject some enthusiasm!!!
Old December 10th 2010, 16:07

I really didnt like the show the original top gear is so much better and its also in english so why make an american version. however if someone had never watched the original uk version then i could see them liking the american version just becuase they would have nothing else to compare it too.