GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old March 24th 2003, 16:38

Subaru Engine and transmission Fit

Does anyone of you have experiense with a Subaru impreza (or Legacy ) turbo motor and with a subaru or Toyota MR2 (Turbo) transmission (Gearbox and diff!)???
Old March 25th 2003, 09:24

There is a company in California which does Subaru conversions for Vanagons (US name). I did some research on them and would consider using them for a TDI conversion if I ever got another Vanagon despite the fact they are on the wrong side of the continent.

Anyway, they are called Fast German Auto. They can be found at (not too surprisingly) www.fastgermanauto.com. Their address is Fast German Auto, Inc. / 2911 South Oak Street / Santa Ana, CA 92707. Their phone number is 888 - 211 - 3334. (I don't know the international prefixes you would need.) Their e-mail is sales@fastgermanauto.com.

While they do Type 25s, I would imagine they could answer a lot of questions for whatever application you had in mind.

Good luck,
René
Old March 25th 2003, 11:11

Billman,
Wouldn't the use of the subaru gearbox give you 5 speeds in reverse, since you turn them around and install it in the back end of a bug? (some people do have that problem with 901 boxes that get 'repaired' by s/one that thinks its a 914 box also, LOL, sorry Jake)
Ricola/Rich has a subaru engine mated to a 915 trans, which makes more sense to me. He has a site (look at the links section, I believe it is www.ricola.co.uk) that is very informative. As you can also learn from his site, he uses a Kennedy Engineered Products flywheel to adapt the trans with the 915 gearbox.
Why do you want to use the subaru or a Toyota gearbox? The latter I don't understand even more.
Walter
Old March 25th 2003, 14:08

The fact that i go often in Germany makes possible to me,to buy for 2000 Euro a whole Subaru Legacy and take the things that i want from it!!! the motor will perfectly fit with the gearbox, and the "only" problem will be how to fit it all on a Bug and reverse the gears (is it possible????)!
The MR2 Turbo has also a very Strong Gearbox and the motor at the back....so no gear reverse is nessesary!

It is just a thought......

Can someone send the specification (Blueprint layout) for a homemade plate that will come between a 915 (how much does it costs?) and a Subaru Turbo motor!!!!!
Old March 25th 2003, 14:15

when i say plate i mean the adaptor for the 915 gearbox and the subaru turbo motor! There are some people here tha built flywheels etc....
Old March 26th 2003, 04:39

As far as I am aware, it is not possible to flip the diff of a Subaru trans, besides, it si a weak link in the Subaru, nevermind putting all the power through 1/2 of its original drivetrain (old front wheels effectively).

An alternative to KEP is DS Tuning in Germany who advertise the kits for just over 300 euro, much cheaper alternative if you are in Europe. The Kennedy kit cost me a fortune in shipping and import duties!

The MR2 is transverse, using a conventional FWD style transmission. This can't be used with a flat 4, although people have fitted FWD engine/trans combos in the middle of beetles before...

Rich