GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old January 23rd 2005, 11:02

924?

Thinking of buying a 924 that is not being used. Its a runner but has no mot or tax. Probably gonna break it up for parts to sell.

Are there any parts worth keeping for my 72 swingaxle? Its not an 's' model so from what i understand the brakes are not a lot of good. Apart from obvious things like the seats et.c what else is worth keeping?

Cheers
Karl
Old January 23rd 2005, 12:24

not much comes to mind outside of the obvious. you would be better off finding a 944 ready to be a parts car.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old January 23rd 2005, 14:05

yeah, thanks for the reply, wasnt really looking it as a parts car for me. just to break to make a few quid. Is it that the brakes dont fit or are they not much of an upgrade?
karl
Old January 23rd 2005, 14:09

my 72 has drums all round as it stands so anything would be an improvement!!!
Old January 23rd 2005, 23:31

The brakes are wierd on a normal 924 as it is an X-type system The wheels are 4 lug The seats usually are not that hot either (even on the special Martini racing edition)

What you can get is a tachometer and rear torsion bars (might not be better than a t3 wagon though at 23mm?).

Pretty mucha waste unless it is free I think. Too much Audi/VW and not enough Porsche!
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old February 22nd 2005, 16:44

The wheels are 4-lug, but on a 4x108mm patern, same as Ford, Peugeot and some early Audis. Not much use unless you plan on using 4x108 pattern aftermarket wheels.

The disks and drums WILL fit your swing axle bug, the drums will slot on right over your existing brake backing plates and the front disks will slide right onto stock VW disk brake spindles. The front calipers won't fit though, you'll have to use beetle calipers. The front disks will increase the front track, I believe the raised boss that the wheel bolts to sticks further out in relation to the disk face than a stock beetle disk.

As you mentioned, the seats can be adapted to fit, the steering wheel will fit some years of beetle, the gauges are always worth saving. I have a full set of 6 924 VDO gauges plumbed into my bug. The rear torsion bars are an upgrade over stock VW ones, but I'd imagine they're IRS length (longer than swingaxle torsionbars).

The rear seat back is the right width to fit in a bug, but is only a few inches high, and too short. If you were really scrapping it, you could cut out the floor of the car below the two rear buckets and weld it into your bug to replicate the 924 rear seat in your bug. A lot of work though.

After that, I don't think much else will cross over, but you'd have a better idea if you had both cars in front of you. Best of luck with it, and keep us posted!!
Old March 27th 2005, 14:56

If you fill its gas tank you will double its value