GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old June 7th 2004, 17:58

Question 924S brakes?

Firstly sorry, I know this is a topic thats been covered but im using an ancient pentium 75 and a search would probablytake days.

I have found the bare bones of a 924S in the back of the local breakers, and was surprised to see that all thebrake parts seem to be present. I think these are the equivelent of the early 944s and so the backs are more or less bolt on and the fronts need a somthing machined up to make them fit. can somone confirm this for me before I buy them and would it be worth me getting the master cylinder at the same time?

I just spoke to a freind and he reckons that there is no mounting for the speedo cable on the 924S version. If this is correct is there any easy fix to get round this? If not whats the hard fix .

Cheers Karl
Old July 20th 2004, 18:15

Karl

The 924s is the same as the early 944, they are single pot sliding calipers and vented rotors front and rear.

The rears are bolt on, and new rear brake hardline. They will increase the track. And you'll need to make / adjust your handbrake cable to make it work. There are lots of options here. Have a look in the brake gallery and on kerschers web page - there are threads on this bit alone!!

The fronts depend on if you have a super beetle or not. I only know about the super conversion. Which is to fit the 944 steering knuckle/ stub axle (what ever you prefer to call it) to 1303 control arms (with the Kerscher ball joint) and 1303 struts. If you have a 1302 you'll need to fit the 1303 stuff to it- which is also a bolt on.

This widens your track and adds more positive camber, so you need to select your wheels carefully and may need the Topline camber plus kit to bring your wheel alignment back to stock.

I personally think you also want to use the 944 master cylinder as the front caliper wheel cylinders are huge and the bug master cylinder can't cope very well with the volume (ie poor pedal feel), not to mention the front to rear ratio.

The 924s (and 944 na) stub axle should have the hole for the speedo cable. 944 turbos don't but they are a completely different kettle of fish.

Hope this helps - but I recommend you do a lot of reading before embarking, so jump on someones faster computer and search here - there is a lot of info. The bits may be cheap but the conversion really adds up once you've reconditioned everything.

Cheers
Jeremy
Old July 20th 2004, 22:54
Superman

Everything Jeza said is correct but IIRC the 924S does not have the hole in the steering knuckle (stub axle is for the rear) but that's not a problem, a machine shop with a drill press can make the hole.