GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old February 29th 2004, 14:03

944 Master Cylinder

I am in the process of converting to 944 N/A brakes all around with the 944 master cylinder. The 944 master cylinder has 3 outputs: 2 for the front brakes and 1 for the rear. My original 1974 Super Beetle has 4 outputs: 1 for the front, 1 for the rear, and 2 for brake light switches (front & rear).

I have searched for threads explaining how the brake lines and switches are routed and see that most people are installing a T on the rear to attach a brake light switch. Does this mean that everyone is just using one of the 2 switches? I thought that the brake light switch also would set-off the brake warning light if something was wrong. I would think that you would now only be notified of problems with the rear and not the front.

Do I need to split my front brakes to go into both outputs separately or can I leave it the way it is on the car today with one line leading from the master, split with a T to both? This would leave the second output available for the 2nd brake light switch. Does this defeat the ability of the master to supply the fluid it needs to get to both front calipers if I go this way?

In summary, I am planning on trying the following (unless someone can tell me I need to do something different):
  • Rear output to T; T to brake light switch and rear line.
  • One front output to brake light switch and other front output to front line.
The other option would be to split the front, and put a T on one side to enable the 2nd brake light switch.
Old March 1st 2004, 02:56

I ended up separating the front brakes after finding a post in the SBO forum that said you needed to separate them. Without any replies I had second thoughts and was concerned that I might not supply the front calipers with enough fluid. I did use the T from the front to install the front brake light switch. I now have one for the front and one for the back like it was originally.