GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old June 15th 2003, 13:10

Lightbulb Kerscher adjustable struts

I've bought a pair of 80 mm adjustable struts from Kerscher. There is on thing I discovered when unpacking these struts and that is that they don't have the metal shoulder on the parts where the struts mount to the spindle. I always thought that this shoulder was nessesary for adjusting the "sturz" with a excentric
bolt. I've ask Kerscher over the phone but they say that the shoulder is not nesesary and that you can still adjust the "sturz" with a normal bolt. Tell me guy, does this sound normal???? I always thought that the firm Kerscher was a very good firm with a good name so any experience welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg federbein2.jpg (25.7 KB, 141 views)
Old June 16th 2003, 03:05

Hi Stuart,
I kind'of understand why you wouldn't need the shoulder: You will almost always ruin your excenter bolt when you use the ' facility' of the shoulder. The shoulder and the excenter bolt are just an aid to rotate the strut.
Kerscher probably thinks that it is best to move the strut yourself and use a normal bolt and thick washer.
At least the elongated hole is there :-) which isn't on a standard strut either. Now you have to ways to adjust: The strut side and on the inner end of the control arm.
Greetings,
Walter
Old June 16th 2003, 06:39
Superman

That 'shoulder' is the way the adjustment is made on the Golf & 944, the Super's adjustment is with the bolt at the end of the control arm.
Old September 8th 2004, 23:45

So its totaly safe to have that eleongated hole and no ecentic washer? wouldent it move? or would crranking on the bolts keep it in place well enought to not worry?

(Yeah i know this is an OLD post, but id rather bring it to life than start a new one)

Jonathan

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing
Old September 12th 2004, 16:06

i have the Maxx strut which also does not have the shoulder(but does not have elongated hole) i use the H&R TripleC camber bolt in the top strut hole.

mine holds just fine with out the shoulder...again my strut does not have the elongated hole!
Old September 13th 2004, 20:56

The elongated hole is fine. I was able to get -1 degree or more of camber just with the stock slop built into my MkII Jetta spindles. Once those bolts get tightened up, its got a very good grasp on the strut and spindle, so no worries.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S