GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old September 2nd 2004, 18:38

Porsche Brakes on 74 Super

K guys I know that this has been asked before, but I can never find the info I need it seems. I've read over on the ShopTalk Forums that i think it's '84 porsche 944 brakes will just bolt on to my car. Now I love the sound of bolt on Porsche brakes but... I've never seen a full list of what i need to do this, or a tutorial... I used the search but perhaps I overlooked it. And in the tech section here I've only found for hwo to do the conversion on a standard. It's supposed to be bolt on for my Super right? I hope so I love the german look and I wanna rock it! Thanks in advance for your guys help
Old September 2nd 2004, 20:09

Welcome to the Forums!

For your super, the rears (early 944 units, from 83-86) will "bolt" right up in the rear NO problem, it increases your track a few inches aswell, the only thing you will need to do to addapt for the rear is the E-brake system, Kershere makes new end for the stock beetle cables so they will work with the 944 accuating mechanism... OR you can fabricate up a little accuating mechanism yourself (As i did) to addapt it. both are simple methods, the later method unvolves more skill and effort, but also cost a little less, the onther thing you would have to addapt is the E-brake cable sleve deal that mounts into the 944 aluminum backing plate/hub deal, Kerscher has this, or you can get creative with the stock 944 unit by cuting it shorter, and making a "cup" for the Ebrake cable housing to rest in.

FOR THE FRONT, you will need the Kerscher ball joints (about $60 EACH,plus shipping), this will allow you to mount the WHOLE 944 spindle and brakes on the beetle suspention, the beetle used a 15mm ball jount end, and the 944 uses a 17mm.... the new ball joints press into the lower arms on the beetle and have the 17mm end to slip right up in the 944 spindles, you will also have to get a new (i think M10 OR M12) sholdered bolt for the pinch bolt... or use the 944 one if you get it.
Warning... using the 944 spindle creates +2 deg of camber on the front (so you would have lost of POSITIVE camber... not good) as its built into the spindle that way. what some have done is slot the upper mounting bolt on the strut (there are TWO bolts) to move the wheel, making more negative camber. I myself have slotted my strut holes and it works.

For the master cylinder, i dont know yet... as im in the prosses of doing this swap myself. some have said the 944 unit works best, the stock, and a 911 unit... But i have not seen a real POSITIVE YES "THIS WORKS BEST" on any of those options... so i cant say much more than do a search on it.

Also, you would have to run new hard lines in some areas for the brakes, soft lines all can stay the same.

The swap is fairly easy...simple, but not simplistic. it takes some fiddling around and gathering of parts..ect. although, its one of the cheapest methods of gaining more braking power and addapting Porsche wheels.

Find good used parts, at a wrecking yard, yo dont want rusty calipers. you most likely will want to rebuild each caliper. rebuild kits (new seals and sliders) are had from perican parts...ect for around $50 for all four calipers, Porsche dealers can get you them to (i got mine at the dealership.. as my father works there ).

Any other questions? ask. Or better yet, search then ask

Later man,
Jonathan

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing
Old September 3rd 2004, 01:17
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggy
I've never seen a full list of what i need to do this, or a tutorial
I'm working on that, it will be in VW Trends magazine.
Old September 3rd 2004, 01:51

Super, what issue do you think it will be in?

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing
Old September 3rd 2004, 03:17

w00t that'd rule. But I hope I don't have to wait too long as I'm wanting to get my bug back ont he road soon . SO when I go to a junk yard, just rip everything off of a 84 944 as far as brakes go rotors, calipers, backing plates, spindles and all? Oh and do you have the vin #'s I'd look for to identify it's an '84? thanks guys
Old September 3rd 2004, 13:57

Take everything off from the strut out in the front.
in the rear, you can take the WHOLE rear torsion tube with swaybars and all, you can use everthing exept the tube, even the torstion bars can be used.

But if you just want the brakes, take everthing from the diaganal arms out fpr the rear.

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing
Old September 4th 2004, 16:43

Now I just want to verify if all the brake parts have to be off of a '84 944, I think i read this on Shoptalkforums but I've seen tohers just mention 944 in general as bolt on? I don't want tog et the wrong stuff, or be looking for a specific year when any year would do.... thanks
Old September 4th 2004, 18:27

i used what they reffer to as the "early" 944, this is from 1983-1986

its fairly easy to notice the difference, as the early cars all had STEEL rear diaganal arms, totaly identical to the beetle arms.
You can use the later stuff with the aluminum arms, but its a whole different ball game... and i dont know to much on that swap.

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing
Old September 4th 2004, 18:42

the 10th digit of the VIN should be "E" for 84 (going off memory)(verify!)
82=c
83=d
84=e
85=f

to help the camber issue i used

Topline "camber+ kit" - bolt/bushing to adjust camber at the control arm
www.toplineparts.com

H&R "TripleC" (part# TC212)- camber bolt to adjust camber at the spindle/strut
www.hrsprings.com
Old September 9th 2004, 23:03
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by super vw
Super, what issue do you think it will be in?
That's up to VW Trends.