GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old May 22nd 2007, 17:06

Hell yeah, bring him on in... Maybe he should have a pacemaker check first because I have no mercy!!
Old May 22nd 2007, 19:19

No, I'm not going to incite a brawl on Germanlook...

I just asked him a couple of questions on the auction page....
'83 928S 4.7
Old May 22nd 2007, 19:53

Sorry guys, been a little busy. Mowing season. Its how I make extra cash to fund ridiculous projects and tools.

About the bus... good luck to Jim! Thats more than double his money... IF it sells. He writes a beautiful ad.

Mid-engined bus Jake? Hummm... would love to hear how you would tackle something like that (engine/tranny choices) since its so different than your usual projects. I've seen how creative you are, bet it would be a jaw dropper.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old May 22nd 2007, 21:36

Thanks Panel...

I would not be building the Bus, there is a team of individuals that make my creativity look lame that would be doing the building...

It would not be a "show car" and probably would not have a shiny part on it. But it would forever change the face of four stroke I.C. engines with it's powerplant.
Old May 23rd 2007, 18:02

I feel I pi$$ed him off a little. I wrote to him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetibone
I have seen this Bus up close when it belonged to it's previous owner, and was able to speak with him at length regarding it's buildup and some of it's technical aspects. I can vouch for the time and effort spent, and the quality of the workmanship that went into this vehicle. My question is what modifications, and completions have been made since you've owned it? Obviously, the cargo compartment has been upholstered, and a sound system installed, but I remember at the time I saw it the rear brakes were CB Performance Roto-Hub assemblies, and the cooling system consisted of a single radiator.
His reply,

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschetech1111
You are correct about the rear brakes being CB performance (Subaru). It now has 3 radiators, one in its original mounting, one under the front like 911 A/C condensors with fan and one in the left side air inlet that used to supply air to the air cooled engine., I have welded in chassis bracing with square tubing, installed a billet steering, rebuilt steering gear and installed skid plate, detailed engine with polished aluminum and all aircraft bolts, done the body work and paint, had seats reupholstered with shorter bottoms for better egress, insulated entire vehicle, rewired old wiring, reinforced rear engine cradle and coil over mountings, undercoated with rubberized material. powder coated numerous interior pieces, reprogrammed mefi-4 to start better cold and go into closed loop,fabricated many brackets for cooling lines and wiring looms, replaced numerous window and door weatherstripping and installed hula girl on dash....just to name some off the work I have done. thanks for the interest....Jim
I was hoping the question would be on the auction page. So far it isn't.
'83 928S 4.7
Old May 23rd 2007, 19:42

I did the three rads. It was the final solution to the overheating. The original Jeep rad in the back hatch, a Boxster rad (right side from their twin setup) mounted up front under the nose, and the rear one in the engine compartment is actually a heater core from an LTD that I added just to shrug off some extra heat. He's right, shes a cool cucumber now.
I'm curious about the ECU reprogram. It definately needed exactly what Jim describes to have done, but the unit I had was "burned in", not remappable. He must have been able to convince someone to sell him another that he could tweak. If he did, that cost him a few pennies for the unit and software.
The bus definately needed some finishing. Jim appears to have tackled the areas he felt needed help. I wish him success with the sale.

My only regret is that he will be taking the bus to some major west coast events and I won't get to hear people's reactions.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old May 23rd 2007, 20:05

not that i have anything to do with this, but just for nosiness' sake i asked him an innocuous question: nice bus, did you do the swap yourself or have someone do it? his full response was "i did not have someone do it."

he's very careful to avoid acknowledging your work, panel. i would not like that!

1979 'vert w/944 NA brakes + Boxster S wheels and begging for a paint job and a Subie swap
Old May 23rd 2007, 21:25

I know Dave, it's tough to watch it play out. He's gonna wind up somewhere at a show with somebody who knows the bus and they will probably call him on it. Jim really does seem like a nice guy, it's a shame.

What really matters to me is that you guys give me props. There are quite a few folks on here that are true craftsmen, well above anything I could strive for. People I respect. To have you all step up and speak your minds about it... means a hell of a lot.

Thank you.
Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old May 23rd 2007, 22:24

I don't like the way it's going down either. I wish I had the money the first time around or at least seen it in person.

I almost did the same thing Dave, but I thought I'd stay away from it. I can be mouthy sometimes. Even though it makes me mad, I'm not going to try to convince him to give panel props. He's trying assert himself as the builder. That's just crazy, but oh well. I guess it's all in how you word it.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old May 24th 2007, 00:57

i think that guy lives by the phrase "it's all in how you word it."

panel, you did great work and we all know that! you've handled this much better than many of us would, so i think you get props for the build and props for keeping your cool.

and i'm with mikey, i wish i had driven down and taken some pictures while it was still near me.

1979 'vert w/944 NA brakes + Boxster S wheels and begging for a paint job and a Subie swap
Old May 25th 2007, 00:35

What is your last name Jeff? Just incase he is at Sacramento Bug O Rama! I would so love to call him out on his lies or fibs!

I followed the build for the most part, and loved it! I hate seeing hacks steal other peoples hard earned Credit!

Jon
Old May 25th 2007, 09:03

Hey Jon. It's Kiestler (pronounced Key-st-lur).

It's not entirely bad. The guy that asked the conversion question in the auction for his Tiger, did get my email from Jim. I have been able to help with some contacts and info. I'm sure all the Sunbeam fanatics are going insane . I'm thinking I should change my last name to Ketzer !

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old May 25th 2007, 17:39

Panel,
I was fortunate to have seen your van and was very impressed with your creativity, skill and handiwork.
I must tell you that I also admire your response (or lack thereof) to the advert - it speaks volumes about you.

Remeber guys - What goes around comes around!!!
Old May 26th 2007, 02:51

a Ecotec in a SBT! AH!! NO!!!!! get a MGB to stick a Eco in! I love engine swaps, but A Sunbeam Tiger is just one of those cars you don't mess with!

I am about to swap a SR20DET and the 5-Speed into a 66 Datsun Roadster! FUN!!

Man you got my panties in a bunch for a sec! you said Tiger. I read the questions and he said alpine.... Yeah its "close" to a tiger, but not really! A Eco in that is fine!

Last edited by alt+f4; May 26th 2007 at 02:54. Reason: bunched panties
Old May 26th 2007, 04:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelfantastic View Post
...The guy... did get my email from Jim...
do you know for certain that he got your address from the new owner? when i wrote the sunbeam guy however many days ago to tell him you were the builder and he could read about it on here, he asked for ways to get in touch with you so i gave him your email address.

not that it's a big deal, but no need to give credit to the turd if he didn't earn it, ya know?