GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old February 19th 2003, 17:18

Dang good point Jake.

Personally I love to drive my bus, but without turn signals and wipers I have some fear in leaving the house with it sometimes and not getting arrested. Granted I still do Since I live close to work the probability of 100K is a long way off, like 12-15 years! Unless I really start adventuring out on camping trips, I could only wish for that luxury.

I could give hoot less about A/C and other trivial stuff.

Why I drive a bus:
http://www.mindspring.com/~deasterw/camping/

Take Care,
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old February 20th 2003, 02:43

The nice thing about leading edge technology or bleeding edge as you spend alot of money finding out what works is that you are there first. Or almost first. Jake has developed the T4 to a point far beyond anyone else. I respect him for that. Now there is a new kid on the block. I suspect he will do his magic quite as well.
Now here is a wild idea! The T4 cylinder spacing allows bigger cylinders than a T1. The Off set on the T4 heads is wrong to use them. Why not cut them in half? You could get the spacing you need. Maybe weld them back up or use individual rocker arms and valve covers. A lot of work, but we may get over 3L out of this engine and still run it on the street. Some of the Porsche engines ran double overhead cams and four valves with individual heads for each cyinder. Why can't we ! Sorry just pushing the envelope again. As people at work say I have entirely to much time to myself.
Old February 20th 2003, 03:04

This TV idea struck my fancy some time ago, but I did not really have an application for a test engine, or any wasser parts to make it work.

I know interchange between engines really well, and thats a key with a conversion like this. The only problem I can see for most guys is that there are alot of machine steps that have to be made to get this all to work out, and that could get costly if the wrong route is taken. TV Joe has done this more than about anyone else, I'm sure and he can probably be the source for many guys. I plan on doing all my work myself, and making templates for most of it as I go along on the first engine.

The engine I can foresee is a factory, OEM performance engine, with CIS and a Turbo, made for demanding applications, like a bus or a Thing.

I do not see the point in inceasing bore spacing for a TIV pattern, and running a TIV head. I plan on keeping TI spacing and TI heads, atleast until shad gets his new heads done, then the upgrade would be tremendous!!

I plan on using ONE aftermarket part in my complete 2109cc engine, and thats a web Cam....Thats all, nothing else. Looking for down low torque from 500 revs and pulling to 5500 Revs, thats the redline...It may just end up being a big valve, split durationed and lifted SINGLE PORT!!!!! (non Turbo version of course)

My engine will be done shortly after my new shrouds that should be done in June. I plan on making a new shroud to fit the TV engine as well, if I like how it turns out.
Old February 23rd 2003, 10:01

How to fit the pushrod tubes if T1 cam, T4 lifters and T1 heads are used?

Tim
Old February 24th 2003, 14:12

Tim,

The T5 stock VW pushrod tubes fit perfectly.

Rumor has it that the T5 pushrods themselves work just fine as well and are steal instead of aluminum.
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old February 24th 2003, 17:36

the WBX pushrod tubes are made from stainless steal. T4 one end and T1 the other end .
the T1 boys use them for aftermarket heads that have the T4 size at the head, for clearance reasons!
Old February 24th 2003, 22:35

not to get you off subject, but pillow, you forgot the cost of the bandages.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design