GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old April 1st 2004, 22:59

no real update. been working on other things lately. getting back to it this weekend. i ended up with 33-spline 944 axles with bus CVs on the outside and my old bug CVs on the inside for now. i have some T181 flanges now and will swap to the porsche CVs once i finish rebuilding them.

if you are ready to cut the deal of the century on that bus, let me know. could be good $$$ for that vert.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old April 1st 2004, 23:15

don't know about deal of the century on the bus, but.....

Should be taking $$ on the camper tomorrow. Had a party interested in the red bus, but they wanted to drive it first, so I've been squeezing in work on the bus to put it on the road. Seats and lights are in, gonna try to rebuild the axles this weekend. They want to trade a running bug (what a concept) and some cash for it.

Saw the cover of UltraVW at their website, nice vert to get me motivated.

Anyone coming to the n vs s shootout in darlington this month?
948 project
Old April 1st 2004, 23:58

Zen
I just did a crash course scroll thru this thread, and I gotta tell you, the GL has come a very long ways, indeed. I'm gunna be biting off the red FAT shroud w/black powder coated fan assembly. Are those CCC rear fenders and late alloy arms? What's the ET on rear wheel's? I'm tring to figure out the lil details for my ride still. Any updates with the Carbon Joe custom decklids? I guess that's enough questions for tonight, lookn tough.

Nick
Old April 2nd 2004, 21:06

thanks for the compliments. as a matter of fact, the whole shroud and fan assembly is going up for sale. just haven't posted it yet. i am going to a DTM since my engine has to be rebuilt now and the DTM is available this time around. let me know if you are interested. they only have 60 miles of use.

they are CCC fenders 2" and 3" front and rear respectively. late 951 ali arms with 17x8.5ET48 rims. '87 944S/951 rear rotors and calipers. dead on placement with no spacers. it took a hell of a lot of work to get there though. i have a set of early ali arms that are going up for sale too. i think they would be perfect for 1.5" rear fenders.

no updates on the decklid. haven't talked to joe in a long time. looks like i won't need it now since i am going DTM, but i think with the availability of the decklid alot more people would be willing to go FAT. the lower stand off i made works very well though. small piece of ali and some bending. hardly noticable and still can lock the decklid. much better option in my application than cutting the decklid or using upper standoffs.

Old April 2nd 2004, 22:17

Cool Zen, you answered a lot of my questions. I'm going to hopefully be running twists so the ET's and width are similar. I already got the late alloy arms, but it's not too late to go with the early, do you think those wheels can be squeezed under the 1.5" wider fenders with early arms? I couldn't tell from the pics, but wut are you doing about running boards. Will the stock sized ones look out of place with the wider fenders? I don't have enough money at the moment to buy your shroud/fan, or i'd jump on in a heart beat. I have access to powder coating so I'll just bite off your style cause I am really feeling it. For me a hole in a 2 dollar decklid(ya I got it for 2 bucks ) is no big deal, then hide it with a liscence plate. I might be interested in the narrow control arms. Anyways you've helped a lot with my project, glad to see yours on the road. Mine will be there one day.

Nick
Old April 2nd 2004, 23:28

nick, late arms will definitely be too wide. look back through the thread (or it might be the "Why T181 Flanges" thread) and you will see some pics as i went through fitment. there is a pic with the early arms and 1.75" spacers that just stick out of the 3" fenders. that leaves me to believe that the early arms with no spacer on 1.5" fenders should be just about dead on (with my offset). just do the math from there on the different offset.

i have carbon joe running boards. they are stock size. i like the look of them. they let the fenders look wide which is what i wanted. i am not a fan of the CCC runners, but have no heartburn for those that prefer them. i will be posting updated pics to my profile on volksport.net soon. the attached pic will give you an idea of the board as it comes into the back fender.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAGE009.jpg (76.2 KB, 33 views)