GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old March 17th 2004, 17:43

Lightbulb anyone ever thought of this????

I was thinking the other day when looking at a switchblade key from a newer VW Jetta that a friend of mine has, I know how to rekey a standard key ignition switch, but how hard would it be to rekey a bugs switch to one of the switchblade type keys, you know, the ones w/ the groove instead of the cut keys. also take the alarm sys. and power locks and all from it and make it all functional in a bug. w/ a porsche trans, brakes, etc., pretty much make it what a "Porsche Beetle" would be. i get ideas like this all the time, but im shure someone else has thought up stuff like this before. anyone have a spare wrecked '00 or newer golf/jetta/nb that they dont want??? send it my way.
Old April 11th 2004, 13:09

I've had a similar idea, but the electrics I am getting are form a 1999.5 Audi A4. I likes the door handles from it and thought they would look really good on my GLer. I am researching the same key/lock swap and will let you know what I find out. As soon as I can talk to my local VW dealership parts guy, I may have more info.

My Blog
Please help me get a minimac
Parts I Need
1965 Beetle "Gordie", 1956 GL Beetle
Old February 12th 2006, 04:11

I retrofitted an existing key from my 1302 to the switchblade key fob. It really wasn't that difficult. I just popped the small roll pin out of the key holder and cut an old style VW key to fit in the opening. It took some trial and error to get it to fit correctly but the outcome was well worth it. It functions wonderfully.

Now for the tricky part...I need to try to get the key fob to actuate my alarm system. If there are any electronics guru's here that can help with this I would greatly appreciate the help!
Old March 20th 2006, 09:36

key fobs and alarms

The 1993 to 2003 mexican beetle came standard with three types of alarm systems two of which are similar to if not the same as the newer vw waterpumpers. I have at least two control modules sitting around at home SO if you like I will check the vw part number and tell you where to get a system and then you wont need to ADAPT anything to your vwac
Michael
Old March 21st 2006, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahdubi
The 1993 to 2003 mexican beetle came standard with three types of alarm systems two of which are similar to if not the same as the newer vw waterpumpers. I have at least two control modules sitting around at home SO if you like I will check the vw part number and tell you where to get a system and then you wont need to ADAPT anything to your vwac
Michael
That would be great!

Thanks!!!
Old June 25th 2006, 10:28

What about changing the electronics inside the keyfob for those who come with your aftermarket alarm system. Of course you would have to get an alarm with a remote control with a similar layout
Transmission: Planning Stage
Suspension: Front: 3/4 swaybar w/UrethaneBushings, Dropped Spindles. Rear:CB Camber Compensator. Lowered 2 splines
Brakes: Front Brakes: 280mm solid rotors, two pot calipers. Rear: 280mm solid rotors, 1 pot calipers w/ebrake