GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 12th 2007, 16:53

i belive this is true, in relation to this thread i found this on a 944/924 tech website (sorry 1303r cannot be arsed to type it all

The final note that is relevant here is on brake biasing or proportioning. The front wheels must develop more brake torque (braking power, if you will) than the rears, due to weight transfer under braking, in order to prevent the rear wheels from locking first and spinning the car. This can be achieved many different ways; in modern cars it is now being handled electronically. However, in the 924's, 931's, and 944's, it's handled by hydraulic component sizing (to get the correct ratio front-to-rear). In the 924 and 931, the master cylinder has the same bore size for each circuit, and the front and rear calipers use different sizes to achieve the correct proportioning. The 944 uses a master cylinder with different bore sizes front and rear - since the fronts and rears are on distinct circuits. Therefore, for a given amount of pressure on the brake pedal, a 924/931 will develop identical pressure on all four corners, whereas the 944 will develop more pressure up front than at the rear. It then becomes clear why the brake corner components must be matched with the master cylinder when doing a brake conversion -
The most important thing to remember from this - use the correct brake master cylinder from the car from which the calipers came from when converting, and ensure that the brake lines are plumbed correctly.

this seems to back up my theory on larger overall volume of liquid displaced but lets not forget the weight distribution of a 944 was between 45/55 and later 50/50 ,although not 100 percent certain i think a bugs weight dist will be atleast 40/60 35/65 front to back therefore requiring more rear bias than a 944
any thoughts on this are welcome
cheers jon
zx7rr