GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old January 18th 2006, 16:27

Foam/glass

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the fiberglass over foam type of construction? I have played with this some and it lends itself to building front valance/rear wing/even fenders if you are really serious about doing as much yourself as possible- it is low budget and labor intensive- Robert Q Riley has a good overview of how to do this at his site.
Just trying of help out with ideas!!
take care
nohair
Old January 18th 2006, 17:56

i have a little experience with model airplanes, but know very little about it in the vw realm. it is quite easy if you like sanding and fiberglass.
Old January 19th 2006, 15:14

Yes

I have built a couple of Mustang hood scoops- 1 whale tail for a rice burnner and a couple of small aircraft(really small) wings - the neat thing about using the foam that if you don't like the shape of your design, you can add/subtrack and or start over without too much $$$ I know that if people would start using this method that a ton of neat stuff would come from the minds of the VW PEOPLE!!!!!!
take care
nohair
Old January 20th 2006, 18:27

I used to build canoes. Fiberglass is cool stuff, but a little messy and smelly(can be avoided if you got the bucks).

One word, if you intend on 'glassing over foam, make sure the foam you use is polyurethane, not polystyrene. If you 'glass over polystyrene, the resin will eat the foam. You can cheat by using alumunim foam between the foam and 'glass. The foil will act like a mold release.

Lanner
Old January 21st 2006, 14:58

Yes, I forgot to say that you must use the right foam to do this- I buy foam from a roofer that only has a paper on one side and is easy to peel off and then you are able to form/saw/sand/shape to what you want- if you really want something that no-one else is building it gives a way to get there from here and if you can get "XTCLY" what you wanted, it is a great feeling!!
take care
nohair
Old February 1st 2006, 13:23

I too have built a few model aircraft using this method. Use Blue foam as it cuts and sands very well. Once you have the shape you need cover the foam with parcel tape. Then give it a coat of spray mount to help stick the glass to it. build up layers of glass with your chosen resin (Epoxy does not attack foam). When finished sand fill and paint. Next make a hole through to the foam and pour in thinners. This is very very messy as it desolves the foam. when all the foam is out you should be able to pull out the parcel tape. If weight is not an issue just leave the foam in place.

In the summer I will be making a roof spoiler like this.
Old February 1st 2006, 15:13

I had a buddy who used this method to build a whale tail for his 260Z. It looked OK, but he must have had some small pin holes in the fiberglass and used the wrong foam, as it absorbed a lot of water weighed a ton. The hatch supports wouldn't hold it open.

As for roofers Styrofoam, there are a couple of different types. The blue Styrofoam is Type 2, which works pretty good. If you have the yellow/beige type, it is most like Polyisosynurate. A really high insulating foam, but extremely caustic if it ever catches fire.

There is also a blue Styrofoam that is Type 4, which is rated for contact with the ground, which should be better against moisture absorption.

Doug