GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old December 5th 2004, 10:36

I am in the WRONG bizness.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33563

This is just to paint them!
VKG Bastage child
Old December 5th 2004, 11:01

Notice they have 0 bids though. I believe that's a net to trap the "sucker born every minute" person.
Old December 6th 2004, 13:24

There are a lot of Porsche owners that would spend that kind of cheddar for a lil paint.
Old December 6th 2004, 22:04

yes, You would have to be a TOTAL sucker to bid on that auction.

And yes, some one will bid on it

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing
Old December 7th 2004, 04:20
Superman

IIRC, they have to be torn down and rebuilt to be powder coated
Old December 7th 2004, 09:43

Powder coating has to be cooked, close to 400 degrees I think.
To do it right (and for 1100 smackers), they better be breaking them down and freshing them up! Hey, I just thought of something... wonder how hot the calipers get when you're hot lapping?? Gotta be hotter than 400 degrees, maybe they don't take them apart? What a scam that would be...
I do think it's a neat idea, but I've had plenty of stuff powder coated and I've rebuilt a caliper before... $1100 is a little heavy on the profit.
VKG Bastage child
Old December 7th 2004, 22:36
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelfantastic
Powder coating has to be cooked, close to 400 degrees I think.... wonder how hot the calipers get when you're hot lapping?? Gotta be hotter than 400 degrees
I would like to know for sure. Below is a procedure that I copied long ago (from some Porsche site that I can't remember hence there is no credit given).

Push pistons into caliper body until they are completely seated and flush with the caliper body.
Disassemble calipers. To remove the buttonhead screws on the spring plates, you will need a 4 mm allen wrench/socket and an actelyene torch. Carefully heat the srews until the head glows red. Do not over heat as this can cause the head to lose its allen head shape.
Remove the heat source and carefully unscrew the buttonhead screws.
Retaining clips are spring loaded into holes in the caliper body. Squeeze the retaining clip until both sides have exited the holes.
Examine other parts, i.e. are x-over pipes in good shape or do they need to be replaced.
If they are the older style calipers with the rasied letters, grint the letters down until they are flush with the caliper body and you can no longer see any evidence of them ever having been there. I suggest you use either a belt grind on a stand or a handheld belt grinder. In either case, start with an agressive abrasive and finish with a finishing grade of abrasive. The surface should be completely smotth to the touch.
Contact "Best Coat" (763.785.7086) and speak to Brenda. THis is the vendor I have used for years and she is well aquainted with the process and your needs.
Send Best Coat the calipers, spring plates and retaining clip. Best Coat will sandblast and chemically pre-treat the all pieces.
Calipers are first powder coated with a color base coat Brenda know which red will work although there are other colors available. Consult Brenda.
If you choose dark decals, i.e. black, the "Porsche" decal is applied.
Finally a a high gloss clear powder coat is applied.
You may finish the spring plates and retaining clip in any manner you wish. I do not recommend having them powder coated as the thickness of the powder may make getting the pads to insert without modification difficult. I have had best results with either electroless nickel or spray paint. Please note spray paint will chip.
Best Coat will ship the painted calipers and blasted parts back to you.
Blow out all pistons appling air pressure to the inlet port. Be certain the bleeder screws are tight so they don't leak pressure. You will need to insert something, like a small piece of 2x4, into the center of the caliper. You do not want a piston to pop out all the way until they are all popped out. If one pops prematurely, the caliper will not hold pressure. Re-insert piston and block appropriately.
When all pistons are out, remove dust boots from pistons and inner pressure seals from bores.
Clean out piston bores with a lint free cloth.
Place a light film of lube (Dow Corning 111 valve lubricant) on the new pressure seals, one at a time, and install into groove in piston bore.
Clean pistons with lint free cloth.
Install new dust boots on pistons.
Carefully installed pistons with new dust boots into piston bores. They MUST go in 100% straight.
Install retaining clip.
Install springs plates with new button head screws. I recommend using anti-seize on the srcrews in case you ever have to do this again.
Install new bleed screws and bleeder caps. Be carefull to NOT cross thread the bleeder screws.
Do the other calipers and you're all done.