GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old February 3rd 2006, 15:57

Topline brakes

Yeah didn't think about the lenght of time this kit has been around before posting, lol. I'll take those pictures. I decided to get this kit so I can have disc till i get the money together for my 944 stuff. I have 944 brakes from the spindle out right now. I have to wait till I can afford everything else though. I guess that this everyone's else's problem too, huh. I think that for $300.00 USD it is a pretty slick kit. Especially for those on a tight budget. Like me, haha. By the way how do you like your Kadrons? I have/had a set that I'm trying to find. I never had them installed.
Old February 4th 2006, 15:42

When I was assisting my mechanic with the comprehensive TopLine install, I had a camera with me. I didn't take any pics because it was going rather quickly and I didn't want to incur any delays which would have meant more money. In fact, the most difficult thing to do was removing parts (the stock struts and springs especially) which had been there for so many years.

I have four-wheel disks on mine. Once I get the drivetrain upgraded, I will have a better sense if I need to upgrade the braking any further. I was pleasantly surprised how well the TopLine brakes perform and I am not so sure I will need an upgrade. If I do, I already know VeeDubEngineering (formerly VeeDubCustoms) will be getting my call.

A pictorial would be cool.
Old February 15th 2006, 15:05

Toplines brake kit is a breeze to install

I just put my Topline brake kit on last weekend and man was a dream to work with. I suggest that anyone that needs brakes and do not want the expense of big, beautiful Porsche stuff or just need some disc till you can afford the Porsche stuff ( because who wouldn't want Porsche stuff) I highly reccommend Toplines kit. For 300.00 USD it can't be beat. I also suggest that you look at the tech article done by SuperBeetles.com The guy was a tad anal about the install, but it is a well written and easy to follow set of instructions. I took a bunch of pictures and will try to get those posted.
Old February 16th 2006, 15:10
theredbarn

You might want to do a type 3 rear drum setup too. It is a simple bolt on from the backing plate out. bigger drum and shoe than stock. It's a nice complement to the Topline disks I put up front.
Old February 17th 2006, 16:26

Will look into that. I saw the same reccommendation on the aircooled.net site. So, I will need everything including: backing plate, shoes, brake cylinders,and drums right? Will I need to step up to a larger master cylinder? And do I need different rear brake hoses ? I would like some Goodridge ss hoses like I got for the front with Topline's kit, but all I have seen is full 4pc kits for like 100.00usd or so. Do you know where I could get the rear lines? Thanks for the advice, Ryan :agree:
Old February 19th 2006, 19:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.waffe 3
Will I need to step up to a larger master cylinder? And do I need different rear brake hoses ? I would like some Goodridge ss hoses like I got for the front with Topline's kit, but all I have seen is full 4pc kits for like 100.00usd or so. Do you know where I could get the rear lines?
You won't need a change in a master cylinder and you won't need a proportioning valve. (You didn't ask about the second part but I remembered that from when I made my inquiry.) I don't think you will need different brake hoses but you may want them. One option is to talk to Jon at TopLine. He may sell the anscillary parts that come with the rear disk brakes separately. He certainly will know what you will need as this is not an uncommon upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.waffe 3
So, I will need everything including: backing plate, shoes, brake cylinders,and drums right?
That I don't remember as I opted for TopLine's rear disks. Again, Jon is an upfront man and knows his stuff.
Old February 19th 2006, 22:43

Thanks Oasis,

I may also be getting the Topline rear kit if I sell off my N/A 944 stuff. Do you think a larger master cylinder would be of any use even though it is unnecessary? I have heard that a larger bore made pedal effort slightly higher, but also gave faster results. Have you heard this? Do you feel that it is worth it. Thanks again, Ryan
Old February 20th 2006, 07:12

Someone else will have to answer on the pros and cons of a larger master cylinder.

When it came to the rear brakes, I was told it was unnecessary to go with rear disks versus Type 3 drums since the front brakes do most (70%) of the braking. I was locked in on wanting four-wheel disks for a variety of reasons and pursued that line of inquiry. I opted for four-wheel disks anyway.

When it came to changing master cylinders or adding proportioning valves, hearing they were unnecessary was good enough for me. I didn't pursue additional info as I was content to keep things as simple as possible.

I figured I could add to my braking if it became necessary. Until I improve the drivetrain, I won't know if it will be necessary. My experience is totally stock and my current TopLine four-wheel disk set-up. I am ill-equipped to compare anything else.
Old February 20th 2006, 11:45

Thanks for the reply Oasis,

I think I will go the same way as you till I will no longer need to use my car as a DD. I would also like to point out that you get better grip from that other 30% if it is disk and also better distrbution of weight. Did your rear kit come with SS braided brake line for the rear, too? Thanks, Ryan
Old February 21st 2006, 08:04

Yes, the front and rear kits were all-inclusive including the hand brake cable and stainless steel lines.
Old February 21st 2006, 12:33

Nice. Thanks for the info and the review :agree: .
Old April 2nd 2006, 19:09

im considering going with So Cal Auto's kit for $149...my mechanic here quoted me the equivalent of roughy $500 for a USED front disc setup

any thoughts/suggestions?
Old April 3rd 2006, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by krems
im considering going with So Cal Auto's kit for $149...my mechanic here quoted me the equivalent of roughy $500 for a USED front disc setup ... any thoughts/suggestions?
The first thought that crossed my mind is Are you comparing apples and oranges? In other words, is this kit just the kit whereas your mechanic is including labor?

My second thought is I have TopLine disk brakes and I wouldn't go with anything less. It is true their front disks are twice as much So Cal Auto (who I have never heard of), but their brakes are of a quality that even impressed my mechanic. I may some day change my front disks to VDubEngineering's version. If I do, it wouldn't be because of any dissatisfaction with TopLine (I'd keep their rear disks). It would only be because I wanted or felt I needed an upgrade.

Brakes are not something I would want to be penny-wise and dollar-foolish. My TopLine brakes have saved me four times by my count with two having the potential of being "total" wrecks with possible hospital stays.
Old April 15th 2006, 15:10

nope..thats parts alone in both cases.

in any case, i have a lot of time to make for a decision.

do Topline's kits come in the standard 4 lug config? or could i get blank rotors from them?
Old April 17th 2006, 01:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by krems
do Topline's kits come in the standard 4 lug config? or could i get blank rotors from them?
Yes, and I am 98% sure yes. My kit was studded in a 5x100 pattern by them. I suppose if you wanted to get blanks to do whatever you wanted yourself, you could. I would ask Jon at TopLine to be absolutely sure.