GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old September 14th 2011, 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce. View Post
Steve:
From what I can gather, that is the "street" LSD.
Wally's LSDiff is the motorsport version which is tighter than an inappropriate simile
Hi Bruce

I thought that he was after the part number for the bolts.

Steve
Old September 15th 2011, 04:51

Hi Steve,

I looked in the same place as you, the 996 carrera catalogue but the optional LSD for the 996C is different from the "motorsport" LSD used in the GT3/GT2 and the bolts specified for each are different.

Hopefully, the bolts will fit with the G50 Crown gear. It is difficult to see how they wouldn't.
Old September 15th 2011, 10:19

Hi

Its a shame that Porsche don't have a "Lack & normal tellie" section like VW where you could look up bolt and other part numbers by description.

Steve
Old September 15th 2011, 10:22

Picked up the correct bolts for exactly my differential and got a mail from Paul to use 120 lbs.ft and a drop of red Loctite.
There is a difference in length, but not exactly as much as the difference of the flanges.
Anyway, it will do fine I think.

Old September 15th 2011, 12:00

Just reassembled everything and very happy I got the spacers and bearings pressed on again without any trouble. Ring gear was extremely nice and tight fit on the much later dated diff housing. The machining on these parts is amazing!

Old September 18th 2011, 16:29

After a lot of work pulling the engine forward far enough to get the thicker diff back in, I got the engine back in its place again. Filled tranny with new synthetic 75W90 Valvoline and reused the O-ring n the side cover (even though I still have a new one from the gasket set). If you turn one wheel, the other one turns in the same direction as it should with a LSD It turns nice and smooth by hand.
Got the engine running again and went for a test drive.

No extra noises, all seems just fine and dandy. Did a deliberate lighting of the tires in second gear (cold and damp road) and that felt different somehow, more aggressive in a way, but not out of control.
Car is still stupid fast and seemingly effortless at doing so.
At home, tranny is still bone dry as before.
All in all, this was relatively easy sailing, though I didn't know that up front..
Gotta love orginal parts
Old September 19th 2011, 03:19

Hi,

Nice job but before you go any further, are you sure about the oil you put into the tranny?

Usually in a 911 with LSD (old ones), oil is something like 75w140 (not sure about the exact values but sure about the range). I can check if you need the exact values.

Seb
Old September 19th 2011, 03:21

Well done Wally! It will make a world of difference I´m sure!
Old September 19th 2011, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourtaud View Post
Nice job but before you go any further, are you sure about the oil you put into the tranny?

Usually in a 911 with LSD (old ones), oil is something like 75w140 (not sure about the exact values but sure about the range). I can check if you need the exact values.

Seb
Hi Sebastian,

Yes, very sure: besides the fact that this is not an old tranny 911 type with porsches' own syncro system (which indeed needs a different oil), its actually counterproductive to use thicker oil or specially formulated LSD oil:
The latter usual has friction modifiers, which reduce the effectiveness of the friction plates. In that sentence alone, you can see/read how weird this is...
Those 'special' lsd gear oils were made because they reduce noise of the friction plates (in slow corners or in the parking lot), which is very liked by the typical Porsche owner who wants a comfortable a relatively quiet car.
I just want performance
Old September 19th 2011, 14:26

Good luck with the diff!

I wouldn't go too crazy with the burnouts though. Replacing the clutch pack with "cup spec" (not the crappy road clutches) costs over £600 from Porsche.
Old September 19th 2011, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce. View Post

I wouldn't go too crazy with the burnouts though. Replacing the clutch pack with "cup spec" (not the crappy road clutches) costs over £600 from Porsche.
If you hadn't noticed already Bruce, I now have a Guard Transmission clutch pack in there, that's supposed to be better then even the 'cup-spec' clutch disks
Both in performance as in duration
Old September 20th 2011, 05:53

Bet you can't wait to get it on the track
Old September 20th 2011, 06:19

You got that right! I also changed my front springs to 'very stiff'...: I thought I had changed to 350 lbs springs in the past, so I now ordered some +50 lbs ones (400). Turned out they were still 300 lbs... (very nice ride quality, but for track could do with a bit harder), so the difference is a 'bit' more then anticipated LOL.
Also re-installed my self-adapted 'wing' for extra downforce.
Indeed curieus what it will all do/mean on the track.
Old September 22nd 2011, 02:58

You will see a big difference in your lap times. The car must be amazing now.
BMW E30 318i CONVERTIBLE 1992
Italian Toys - GERMAN WAR MACHINES
WRC is for boys - GROUP B WAS FOR MEN
Old September 26th 2011, 03:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Hi Sebastian,

Yes, very sure: besides the fact that this is not an old tranny 911 type with porsches' own syncro system (which indeed needs a different oil), its actually counterproductive to use thicker oil or specially formulated LSD oil:
The latter usual has friction modifiers, which reduce the effectiveness of the friction plates. In that sentence alone, you can see/read how weird this is...
Those 'special' lsd gear oils were made because they reduce noise of the friction plates (in slow corners or in the parking lot), which is very liked by the typical Porsche owner who wants a comfortable a relatively quiet car.
I just want performance
Thanks for the intel, I'll pass it along to one of my friends who doesn't really care about noise (1983 RUF SC) and I'm glad I was wrong but I'd rather be wrong than hear about a broken lsd...

Have fun on the track...

Seb