GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old September 28th 2011, 11:40

Wally I will agree with you that the wing is extremely ugly. Have you ever thought to start your own turbocharged type iv engine shop? Well you should because after this reading this thread again I honestly believe that you have more experience on turbocharged type iv engines than anybody else. Seriously give a little thought to this idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. You have built an extremely powerful engine and you have "test" it on "real" circumstances. By that I mean the tracks. You are not just words like most builders. Think about that and forget about the track times.
BMW E30 318i CONVERTIBLE 1992
Italian Toys - GERMAN WAR MACHINES
WRC is for boys - GROUP B WAS FOR MEN
Old September 28th 2011, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSAF View Post
Wally I will agree with you that the wing is extremely ugly. Have you ever thought to start your own turbocharged type iv engine shop? Well you should because after this reading this thread again I honestly believe that you have more experience on turbocharged type iv engines than anybody else. Seriously give a little thought to this idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. You have built an extremely powerful engine and you have "test" it on "real" circumstances. By that I mean the tracks. You are not just words like most builders. Think about that and forget about the track times.
Thanks mate! I do know what works and what helps by now and I help in writing some articles for a (dutch) magazine and maybe a rebuild and/or tuning book might appear sometime from that same mag, but I will definitely not build engines for others. I really encourage others to build their own blocks as I think that is/should be part of the fun (hence the writing ).

And yeah, I need to make or buy something more fancy as a rear wing ;-)

Of course there were again a few people that asked if there was a subaru engine in there...I told one of them to come close so I could smack him!

Beginning and at 2:07 :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQWwG_bh7Ho
Old September 28th 2011, 16:04
Administrator

I've just lost all respect for Wally's accomplishments now ... is that a BBQ sitting just over your intercooler ?

Just Kidding ... you kick ass as usual, glad to see you finally got a prize

Congrats.

Sandeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Thanks for the encouragement guys!

The rear wing is ugly from the sides, but I already knew I need to make nicer stands or buy something:
[/

Old September 28th 2011, 19:24

Hi Wally

Did the picnic table have any effect on the intercooler?

Steve
Old September 29th 2011, 00:42
Administrator

The wing doesn't bother me. Form follows function, until optimum function is figured out...then yes, make it look good ;-)

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old September 29th 2011, 03:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi Wally

Did the picnic table ....

Steve
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, Iknow

But no, it doesn't as I did deliberately positioned the wing so the gap was big enough that the air following the roof line flows uninterrupted towards the intercooler.
It IS functional in that respect. Any roof lips or other roof spoilers however WILL effect intercooler efficiency imo.

Wrt 'looks' of the rear wing: its also depending on the angle how you look at it I think:

Braking at the end of the straight:

Old September 29th 2011, 04:31

Quote:
Of course there were again a few people that asked if there was a subaru engine in there...I told one of them to come close so I could smack him!
Yeah,stab ém with a chop stick Awesome pics Wally! Are these photographers scheduled at these events? Or do they just randomly take the pics and you download them from a website or sth? As professional as they are,I would guess that they are hired by the event organizer? Keep ém coming Wally! They keep me motivated!! A big thanks for that!
Old September 29th 2011, 05:01

Quote:
Wrt 'looks' of the rear wing: its also depending on the angle how you look at it I think:
ha ha, nope doesn't look good from any angle.
However the car still looks fantastic and more importantly, totally under control on the track.

You might want to consider a much wider wing, that extends to over the rear wheel arches and out from behind the main cabin. This would get it right into the air flow and increase the effect a fair amount.
Old September 29th 2011, 05:38

Maybe you could build a diffusor that bolts up to the rear bumper mounts inside the fenderwell? Then you could do away completely with the spoiler and have full effectiveness of your IC.
Old September 29th 2011, 06:01

Hi Wally

I wasn't saying it was ugly, I think it looks very good, your being too hard on yourself, a big change to cars looks can do that.

Steve
Old September 29th 2011, 07:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
Are these photographers scheduled at these events? Or do they just randomly take the pics and you download them from a website or sth? As professional as they are,I would guess that they are hired by the event organizer?
Its a pretty big event in our little country, so lots of photographers are interested, either hired by publishers or independant ones where you can buy your pics for a reasonable (debatable, I know) fee. I was offered to share a pit box with one of the publishing parties. But rest assured, they took plenty pics of all cars present :
http://www.mbmedia.nl/picasa-album-1...1892225&page=8

I know Clive, don't worry
Bruce: I really wouldn't want any bigger. I also think it makes the whole construction less stable if its wider then this. As Rob experienced, if the wing gives too much down force, the metal under the rear wing can give in (and probably gives more drag also), so too much wing is not wanted either I feel.

The center pod on the wing is already my own addition, which I found necessary (even when the wing was in its original low position, that was needed to make it stable) as well as the extra diagonal rod to the intercooler top.
As it is now, its very stable and I don't see it move or shake at all at any speed or surface conditions. Better stands and stronger material (steel plate instead of the alu now) should make it able to do without the extra horizontal/diagonal rod (I hope).
Maybe sometime next year

Thanks for the nice comments guys!
Old September 29th 2011, 08:51
Administrator

Awesome stuff as always Wally. Lots of changes this time and much quicker lap times. That is why I always look forward to updates from Wally.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old September 29th 2011, 09:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep View Post

I've just lost all respect for Wally's accomplishments now ... is that a BBQ sitting just over your intercooler ?

Just Kidding ... you kick ass as usual, glad to see you finally got a prize

Congrats.

Sandeep
Wrong Sandeep, its an eye level grill!......hot, hot, hot, hot.......

Clive
Old September 30th 2011, 13:08

As you can see here especially, I might need to adress the front suspension caster when it moves upward (ball joint extender):

The result was there anyways
Old September 30th 2011, 14:49
Administrator

Great Pics Walter !

Can you comment on the tires (tyres) that you are using ? Brand / Spec ? I am assuming that you daily drive with these tires too ?

Thanks

Sandeep