GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old October 15th 2015, 14:59

Ah, very helpful as doing this currently.

I don't think the inner pad will need clearanced much because the origanal 944na caliper mount has spare metal so could be thinned by a mm or so. The outer pad is tight to the hub so thinning the back plate is required (didn't spot that).

One remaining concern I had was my 944na disc friction surface has a beveled edge on the outside and inside, to the original pad size I think. If the disc was flat to the edge (inner & outer) then it would be a neat fit. I have got new Pagid rotors. Perhaps another brand would not have this bevel (Sebro?). Kai, what brand are yours and are they also bevelled? (The inner edge looks to be more of an issue).

I did wonder if I could machine the 944na hub so the bore was correct for the 986 rotor. If the 986(S) rotor still works with the 944 handbrake parts (mentioned above by Lanner) & is 67mm high, would the 986 rotor (which is also 67mm high) work with the 944 handbrake shoes?
------
EDIT:
Ah I see the 2.7 (non-S) boxster used different handbrake shoes and hardware. Narrower I guess?
------
That might require 16" rims but my front rotors already need that.

Last edited by Bruce.; October 15th 2015 at 15:31.
Old October 16th 2015, 09:53

Lanner I never doubted you

Bruce my Mtec disc also have had a beveled edge. However my mintec pads appear to fit very snugly to my 944NA disc rather well.

I've still not got my car back nor received my brackets. Soon though I shall have all the pieces.

These are old pictures I took a few weeks ago. Will get some more up when I've got the rest of the parts.

Old January 12th 2016, 05:47

Finally have my car back and all the hardware required to fit these brakes. Had an email exchange with Lanner and I can confirm that both me and my mechanic can't eyeball size any thing for ****

I have used Lanners brackets and hardware, 944 NA Disc brake arrangement, 944 NA Disc , 987 calipers and pads.

it was very easy to swap everything out and Lanners brackets make it a bolt on affair. I did shave some metal off from the inside of the outside pad however I don't think it was really necessary.

I think I should probably clean my calipers

So I've now got the cayman brakes all round on my notch, today's task is to change my master cylinders and get them bleed.

Old January 12th 2016, 06:21

Hi

Glad you made it work.

That front system looks sweet.

One thing though, Cayman calipers have an issue though, they lack the recess for a crossover tube on the nipple side so you can switch over the crossover tubes if needed. If you leave it as it is in the Cayman you will have abnormal pad wear, because the caliper is in front while in a 944 at the back and it has unequal diameter pistons. You need to find a way to invert them.

Cheers
Marios
Old January 12th 2016, 07:25

Thanks, the front was a fun swap. Just glad it's over now.

So your saying one should mount the calipers on the opposite sides and make new cross over pipes, thus positioning the larger position at the front of the discs rotation? I'll look into this. You could of mentioned this yesterday when I was fitting them
Old January 12th 2016, 07:28

The man speaks the truth. 30mm front and 28mm rear.

https://www.design911.co.uk/mobile/#part;id=125816
Old January 12th 2016, 08:41

Calipers swapped over.

I first swapped the cross over pipe on each calipers from side to side but repositioned it on the new underside. The lack of recess doesn't prove to be a problem.

Plenty of clearance.

Old January 12th 2016, 10:26

That's nice then! Good thing you sorted it out.

The smaller piston needs to be on the side where the rotor 'comes in' so that the larger piston can compensate for the torque applied on the pad by the rotor. This causes an even wear on the pads, which otherwise would wear at an angle.
Old January 12th 2016, 17:13

Nice work.
I've done the pipe swap recently (side to side and end to end, as the "legs" are different lengths). I used a heat gun to release the stuck nuts because the alloy expands more than the Steel nut.

You are ahead of me although I'm making the calliper brackets myself and also my own front "kit"
Old January 12th 2016, 18:04