GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old January 4th 2008, 15:00

Coilover conv. help (flat6)

Hello guys!

I have been searching around a little on the forums about converting the rear suspension to coilovers.

I have a 1967 Karmann Ghia, that have got IRS suspension. I need to narrow the torsionhousing and IRS a-arm to fit wider tires in the rear. Without having problems with torsionbars lenght's etc. I was thinking coilovers, so I dont need torsionbars. But here's the "problem", the engine is a Porsche 911 flatsix and the transmission is a 901 5 speed. AND I want a low car, in front I have airshocks and how about the rear when using coilovers?

Anyone know or have any ideas on what coilovers I should buy (due to the new weight and ride height, dont want to spend like $1000 on it ethier.

Thanks!!

Something like this ride height. I will probally be running atleast 17inch wheels tho.
Old January 4th 2008, 17:32

The best coil over for the money is QA1. They have a standard shock and a knob adjustable shock. The adjustable is way better.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...=KeywordSearch

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old January 4th 2008, 21:38

Panel,

I have been looking at aftermarket coilovers for my ride, QA-1 have been at the top of my list, I was curious if you or others know how to overcome the top bolt size issue.

What I am referring to is that in the back the top bolt is a stock 12mm size, while most aftermarket shocks on this side of the pond come with poly bushing, or metal bearings that the inner diameter is 13mm or 1/2 inch. Obviously there is some slack that needs to be taken, but been beating my head over the issue.

For the bottom not a problem, as I a have 944 arms, and can go with a lower bolt replacement by one of the 944 porsche aftermarket companies.. can't remember the name but its like 150 for the stronger lower bolt.

So my question is how do I take of that 1mm of slack safely.. I even looked around for replacement bearning..

Thoughts
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old January 5th 2008, 11:41

Answers you prolly wont like...
At the very least...
You definately need to upgrade to the larger bolt size, drill and tap the frame or whatever is nessecary. Good chance to go to some grade 8 stuff.

If you are getting rid of the torsions alltogether and the shock is taking all the weight now, they should not be set up in single shear! That is a huge no-no on anything carrying any load. BUT, I know everyone is doing it anyway, its just not safe.

Here's a pic of how I modified some front arms to be double shear...

Hope this helps?

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old January 5th 2008, 13:38

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelfantastic View Post
The best coil over for the money is QA1. They have a standard shock and a knob adjustable shock. The adjustable is way better.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...=KeywordSearch

Jeff-
Thanks Jeff! What do you think of these shocks for my setup? http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
And what springs should i pick? Will they fit stock upper shockmounts and stock VW IRS A arms? Like the price!!
Old January 5th 2008, 14:05

Thats a good choice. You will need at least a 250 to 300 lb spring set.

They have a larger bolt hole than the factory bolts. This is exactly the problem Alex is running into above. My advice is the same in your application, larger than stock bolts and modification to double shear. A little more work, but really, really, nessecary.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old January 5th 2008, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelfantastic View Post
Thats a good choice. You will need at least a 250 to 300 lb spring set.

They have a larger bolt hole than the factory bolts. This is exactly the problem Alex is running into above. My advice is the same in your application, larger than stock bolts and modification to double shear. A little more work, but really, really, nessecary.

Jeff-
Perfect! Now I know. Thanks for helping out!
Old January 5th 2008, 17:01

Panel,

That is simple and could solve my problem.. can't believe I did not look at it from that perspective.. genious.

It should not be to difficult for me, just need to open up the hole on my kafer bar also, and look for some hardware.. Thanks for the idea will look at it with a different set of eyes when the time comes.

Also what do you mean by single or double sheer.
VR
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old January 5th 2008, 20:07

Single shear- is the way the factory shock mount is designed. The shock mounts to a stud sticking out of the shock tower. Where the shock meets the tower is where the "shear" load would be. Perfectly fine for regular shock duty but seems like alot when you put the whole weight of the car on that single spot.
Double shear- is how I re-made mine in the pic above so that the shock bolt goes through two mounts,one on each side of the shock to distribute the shear load across two points instead of one side.

BUT, I prolly just over did mine . LOTS of folks out there running coil overs in single shear. I've even seen pics of race buggies with coil overs mounted in single.
Definately upsize the bolts though .

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old January 6th 2008, 10:16

Is it possible to have a car low as the picture above with coilovers??
Old January 6th 2008, 11:23

When I bought coilovers I spoke to the manufacturer (Gaz in the UK) and they supplied a very thin sleeve to convert their 1/2" hole to my 12mm. Sorted.
Old July 17th 2008, 21:59

so after a lot of research I am still having a hard time finding someone that can "Parts list" their front / rear suspension. I am curious about a setup that has track/street ability that has been running and tested a bit. Is there anyone that can spec out their system with part numbers?

what I am running
ball joint / 69 IRS 944T (alu arms / 4-pot brakes FR) all the way around (still in build process).

anyone?
I am looking for real world knowledge not option after option as read from a book.

thanks.
Old July 18th 2008, 05:58

How do make a double shear mount for the coil overs on 944T aluminium trailing arms.
The only way I see is the weld a bracket to the aluminium arm.
Old July 18th 2008, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1303 View Post
When I bought coilovers I spoke to the manufacturer (Gaz in the UK) and they supplied a very thin sleeve to convert their 1/2" hole to my 12mm. Sorted.
Depending on where you get the QA1's from they also have a couple of different sleeve sizes, so just check in with the supplier to make sure the shock your getting comes with the fitment options. You can also get a spherical bearing option as well, but that's a little extreme for street use.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S