GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old February 15th 2008, 05:05

kercher front struts 1302

Hello German lookers,this is my first post on the site.
I think I have a problem with my newly instaled struts, I instaled them stright from the box and they are coil bound,the bottom part,the more tightly wound part has all the coils touching,Im sure this isnt right.The dealer in England fist told me they'd never seen that before and then emailed to say it was normal.
Has anyone had expierience of these stuts and can you offer me any advice?
Thanks Paul
Old February 15th 2008, 06:02

Hello

if I understand correctly what you're saying, this is normal. The lower spring it;s the so called helper spring, its there only to help the upper spring to be fully seated in its place (not to fall off and bounce) if you set the supsension to the fully low position. It is not meant to work with the suspension, as soon as you get the car on its wheels it will be full coil binded, hope I helped you.

Friendly

Dimitrios
Old February 15th 2008, 11:15

To me it sounds like you have bought some kerscher struts. They use progressively wound springs and what you are seeing is correct, it gives a great ride!
Here's a pic of my 2 bolt struts:

Rich
Old February 15th 2008, 11:41

Thank's for the replies, Ricola,that is exactly how mine sits, can you tell me how does the botom half of the spring work a sits so bound up, doesnt look like its suspending the wheight n just being compresed by it. Thanks again
Old February 15th 2008, 16:35

I think Dimitrios has it right. Its just there for when the strut is decompressed fully there is still compression in the spring so it is not flopping around and becomes unseated. So you're full working spring travel is only the top spring.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMP View Post
Hello

if I understand correctly what you're saying, this is normal. The lower spring it;s the so called helper spring, its there only to help the upper spring to be fully seated in its place (not to fall off and bounce) if you set the supsension to the fully low position. It is not meant to work with the suspension, as soon as you get the car on its wheels it will be full coil binded, hope I helped you.

Friendly

Dimitrios
Old February 15th 2008, 17:59

They're progressive springs. Effectively the spring rate gets bigger the more load the spring is under, meaning under normal use they're softer then during hard cornering they're harder and body roll is less.
Old February 16th 2008, 04:27

You have to think how a spring works, the more of its length that is free, the softer it is. So, as a progressive spring is compressed, more of one end becomes coilbound, leaving less effective length to work as a spring which means it gets stiffer. This means in hard cornering the spring rate is stiffened up to give stability, but straight ahead it is softer for better ride comfort.
Hope that makes sense?
Rich