GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old September 1st 2007, 15:42

I have begun with 993 calipers

I have bought a pair of the front Big Red Calipers from a 993 and a pair of CB Performance Drop spendles. But I have to admit I'm a little frustraited on how to get the two to meet. I need part numbers and complete instructions...I know I'm demanding without even saying hello.

A little back ground I guess. I'm building a 73 K Ghia to take out to the Salt Flats to see how fast it will go in the hopes of breaking the 200 mph bearier. Once I have the front end moched up I will move to the rear to to do the same thing. In that case I will be putting in a manual 6 speed tranny also.

Fabrication I can do but I am not a machinist so I will have to have clear instruction if machining is required. Strength and bullet proff reliebility are key.

Thank you in advance...
Old September 13th 2007, 19:49

OK after mucho searching here I was able to print the instruction from the french artical. So my questions is there any real advantage from the two main techniques post here. One you machine the 944 hubs while the other requires custom machined hats for the rotors. And in both cases I'm still not clear what bearing I am supposed to use. Please help.
Old September 14th 2007, 16:58

I'm not sure about your custom hats version, but the tried and tested version I've seen used most in where you machine the insides of the hubs. In this case you use standard beetle/ghia bearings. There's quite a bit about it in Keith Seume's Beetle Performance Handbook.
Old September 18th 2007, 20:18

Thank you. So I bought the book but It looks like it won't be here for more then a week...

I bought the VW bearing and boy were they too small. The '87 951 hub looks like the outer bearing is almost as big as the inner. So what bearing am I supposed to use? I'm just not having any look with the bearings