GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old January 25th 2007, 10:50

very very nice
Old January 31st 2007, 18:22

I've had a little hiccup with the brakes, seems Brazilian spindles are a little different than the German spindle Lanner built these on. The calipers sit about 2.25mm inboard of where is should. Once again Lanner impressed me with his customer service, and had German spindles shipping my way before I could sneeze. He's really a very talented guy who values his customers greatly, something we need more of these days..... I'm tired of talking to people in India! Anyway, I'll mock this up on the German spindles and hopefully we are back in the saddle.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old January 31st 2007, 21:40

Oh yeah Jason! Lanner is "Da man"! He is a true customer satisfaction kinda guy! That was way cool of him to send German spindles.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old March 16th 2007, 20:30

Calipers on with new adapters, remote reservoirs in, pedal assembly all in, need to do brake lines, hose from reservoirs to MCs, and fab up the mounting point for the remote bias adjuster this weekend hopefully. Still need to get 2 braided lines for the front calipers, already have the rears. Need to fab up some mounting points for the flex lines.

Working on the hydrolic clutch system in parallel, just got the metric hoses set up for standard fittings so I can run available hose around without too much trouble. Those bubble flanges are not easy to get in the US. Ya ya ya, I'll get pics up, quit yer whining!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run

Last edited by volkdent; August 24th 2007 at 13:34.
Old August 24th 2007, 13:36

Well, it's been a busy summer, almost 6 months without turning a wrench, but I've ordered the braided lines for the front, and finally found a 3/16 inverted double female elbow I need to tie my OEM VW line into my standard hard line. I have 2 weeks off in Sept, so hopefully there will be plenty of progress to show for it.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old September 4th 2007, 01:08

Finally got the master cylinder remote reservoirs in. Two are for the front and rear brake master cylinders and one is for the hydrolic clutch.

The final brake setup. I still need to paint the caliper adapter, but I'm going to run it to make sure it doesn't need to be changed again. I like the inner brakeline mount. It's just aluminum riveted to the inner fender, but it's simple and it looks good I think.

All the hoses are run to the master cylinders now, the clutch system is now in working order and bled. The brakes still need the lines built, but the reservoirs are all done except for the hose clamps. There is a grommet for the clutch reservoir hose, and on each brake reservoir hose there is a brass fitting that creates a 90 deg turn and drops the hose through the bulkhead, but keeps the gravity feed in place.

Had to make some "adjustments" to the bulkhead to clear the remote brake bias bar cable.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run

Last edited by volkdent; September 4th 2007 at 01:16.
Old September 4th 2007, 08:45

Suhweeeet!

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old September 25th 2007, 00:46

Yeeeee Haaaaaa!!!! I finished building the brake lines today! What a PITA!!! Everything is tightened up now, only had one small leak, right off of one master cylinder, just had to tighten the copper crush washer a bit more. I put paper towel under each connection, it showed if there was any leaks. I'd recomend it if your building your brake system from scratch.

My girlfriend did the pumping, "pump......off........pump.....off.....", she's a gear head too, so it was very smooth sailing. Seriously firm pedal, but it feels like its going to be just right. I just need to get the thing running now!!!

Pics when I get back in town this coming weekend.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old October 8th 2007, 19:21

Pics as promised. Next update will be on performance and then maybe adding an emergency brake.

Brake line bracket and linelock in background

Rear line T

Front T and brakelight switch

Not a brake line, this is the hydrolic clutch line, but it was all done with the same line so I thought I'd include it.

The line lock, just in case some smoky burnouts become necessary...

The business end of the brake system..

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old October 8th 2007, 20:11

That is one seriously nice swing mount pedal system Jason! Is it a bolt-in job inside the cab? You might consider designing and selling a kit for that - at least the frame assembly - leave it up to the purchaser to purchase the pedals and mastercylinders?
That solves a lot of problems trying to get not only a dual M/C brake pedal, but hydraulic clutch too!
Nice!
Jeff
Old October 8th 2007, 20:55

OK - sorry about that Jason - just read through the whole thread and now see the details.

You mentioned the Wilwood mechanical caliper for E-brake. Not sure if you've gotten these yet? I'm in a similar boat and do have a set of these - that I'm likely not going to use. I'm not crazy at all about the way they mount - basically a small "tang" fitting into a somewhat crude slot on either side of the caliper (as shown in that previous pic). I'm also not crazy about the way the floating pad sits in the caliper - it's not attached to anything! There is an actuator pin, backing plate and puck-pad all sitting loose in the caliper - only thing holding them in place is the fit of caliper to rotor, and that's "roughly" determined by that tang mounting business. Might be all right for a go-cart but......

You've probably seen the new Wilwood caliper with built-in e-brake? That might be the direction you'd want to take?? Or..........

How about a real floating mechanical caliper - with bolt-in sliding pins that simply bolt to your mounting bracket - just like the hydraulic Wilwood calipers bolt on??!!
Take a gander at these - same overall size as the Wilwood mechanicals, true precision floating mounting pins....
http://www.ipsco.org/Custom%20Servic...ng%20Brake.htm
Came across these on a GT40's web board - and they look like the perfect match for a set of Wilwoods! They Will be going on my brake set-up.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old October 9th 2007, 00:21

I've got those crappy Wilwood ones, and I totally agree. Those ones you showed are awesome!!! I'll have to look into those when I get there. That MC bracket is really simple and I was surprised how well it worked out. I agree that it would be good to put into production, but I want to make sure it work really well before I do. It involves drilling 2 holes for mounting, that's it!!! You need to drill more for the fluid lines, but still, pretty minor compared to all the body hacking I've seen from other styles of pedals.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old October 9th 2007, 04:53

Maybe too late, but a company in the UK has designed an ebrake conversion kit for the main calipers:
http://www.marlincars.co.uk/5exi_dev_brakes.html
Old October 10th 2007, 00:51

Wow, even better!!! I've got the Wilwoods pictured there! That's a great solution, I wish the PDF would download so I can actually see what the mechanism is.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old December 4th 2007, 16:57

Brakes have had their first small test, seem OK, but hard pedal at this point. Might be perfect, it was just at low speed, but at least they work!!!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run