GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old November 30th 2007, 00:38

Awesome!
Any idea how long before you get to fire it for the first time? Oughtta be a podcast moment! Get us some live broadcast set up!

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old December 3rd 2007, 01:54

Well, all is done, but the car don't run!!! I'm not sure about getting all the coolant in, I filled the entire line from and to the engine, then I filled the expansion tank, but I'm worried I don't have anything in the engine to get it primed, and what is weird is that the expansion tank filling is not filling the system.

What was more frustrating was that the ECU is not working!!! I plugged in the custom harness, which just left a few wires for me to tackle. Those were the main power and ground, (duh), and the power for the rad fans(work fine with direct connection) and the power for the fuel pump(again works fine with direct connection) so I'm thinking there is a problem with the harness somewhere, or the ECU, either way not to easy to diagnose and really annoying consider how much I've spent so far.

I have the radiator in now pretty much finally, and I used foam to seal around it so any air entering the area is forced through rad, can't get around it.

Getting the fenders on after the dissappointment about not starting, and working on the front chin spoiler to make sure any air heading under the car is forced around it or through the radiator.

Hopefully it is something simple on the wiring, otherwise I'll be taking a trip down to Fremont with it to have it gone through.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old December 3rd 2007, 04:18

Hi

OK you need to check for spark at the plugs, if no spark check for pulse at the coil and also check for pulse at the injectors. If you have spark, give it a drink of fuel down the manifold to see if it gets a result. Can you hear the fuel pump priming?

Most ECUs earth the fans to make them work.

As far as bleeding goes, is your header tank the highest point? On WBX I drilled a very, very tiny hole in the thermostat to allow the coolant to flow to both side of the thermostat, some thermostats have a ball check valve for this purpose. I was able to fill my WBX from my header tank and any air in the system would bleed to the top the header tank, then the overflow system would rid it of any air after few warm ups and cool downs.

Steve
Old December 3rd 2007, 11:29

Similar prob the first fire on the Eco. There were two plugs out of the dozen that were the same, of course I crossed them. No damage and as soon as I figured it out, it fired on the first hit. Is prolly something very simple.
You've come a looong way! Don't get discouraged by this little hiccup.

I aslo struggled with getting my cooling purged and had to do just as Steve suggests to finally get it resolved.

Keep at it!

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old December 4th 2007, 01:02

EEEEEeets Aliiiiiiiive!!!! Started her up today!!! I was so happy!!! Its been at least 5 years, and to hear this thing start up was just amazing. I actually recorded the second start, the first, which was more dramatic, I was on the phone with the tech from 034 Motorsport, and only had two hands. I went for a very short little cruise down the street, it's dark and there's no headlights, and found that there was this crazy metal on metal grinding sound from the front end. Turns out it was the inner edge of the brake rotor rubbing on the lower edge of the cup for the lower ball joint. I brought it back and ground some off of the cup, the offending area is not really a stressed area. I heard it again on the second trip, so there's a little more to do.

Big thing is that I can't find reverse!!! I'll have to pull the linkage and go through by hand to find reverse. I know I could find it before, but not with the linkage attached.

Eeeets Alive!!!

I've got the radiator fans set to come on at 90 deg. The manual says 92-100 I think, for the first stage, and hotter for the second, but I've only got one stage. I can add a secondary thermostat later to fine tune. Does 90 deg sound like a good temp for the water coming out of the head, or should I let it get warmer before the fan comes on?

I also found I had really done a dummy move. Way back I had placed a black plastic plug in the end of the coolant line coming from the expansion tank so stuff wouldn't get in there. So now I'm adding water to the tank, and it's not going anywhere. I'm adding water through the main coolant lines, but nothing is happening in the expansion tank, where you are supposed to add water. Finally, I pull the hose from the tank, and NOTHING is coming out!!! I figure I have a bad tank, pull the tank, then pull the hose off the tank. Out flows the water!!! I look, and in the end of the hose is my little plug!!! Well, now that makes sense. Hooked it back up, filled her up, no troubles now. All lines get warm, output one gets hot. Radiator gets warm, fans are working just fine. I'm curious to see how she runs on the freeway without the front lip spoiler.

Now it's getting more fun!!!!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run

Last edited by volkdent; February 22nd 2008 at 16:24.
Old December 4th 2007, 01:50

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run

Last edited by volkdent; December 4th 2007 at 02:07.
Old December 4th 2007, 02:09

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old December 4th 2007, 06:07

after all the updates.... seeing it start up in that vid makes all the waiting worth while!!!

Cant wait to see it finished and in person someday!!!

SCHWEEET PROJECT MAN!!!!
Old December 4th 2007, 07:02

That's awesome news, really happy for you! Always a relief when they fire up for the first time..

Rich
Old December 4th 2007, 13:43

FREAKIN' AWESOME!!

More video! Rev it, get some drive bys.

What turned out to be the glitch on getting it fired the first go round?

SUHWEEET!

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old December 4th 2007, 15:24

Thanks guys!!! I really appreciate the support you've given me all along for this project, as crazy as it is!

Jeff, the problem was that they didn't include a wire with the harness!!! I called them up and he's like "Oh, there's no wire there?" and I'm like "ah, no" and he's says, "Well there's yur prablem!". So, just put a jumper in from IGNSW to INJSW and whamo, she turned over for a bit, I think the computer was doing something and just slowly it started.

This site is acting funny, the answers you guys gave yesterday I just saw today, but I've looked at it a couple times since then.

I'll do the hole in the thermostat if I need to, but it seems to be running OK right now.

What do you guys think the fan turn on temp should be? That sensor is just coming out of the head, so that is water head temp basically. I can adjust the turn on by individual degrees on the software, so really it's wherever we decide to put it.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run

Last edited by volkdent; December 4th 2007 at 22:07.
Old December 4th 2007, 18:33

That's great news Jason. Man you're gonn'a have one of the baddest Beetles around! Now git that thang on a skid-pad so we can get a full report on all the trick suspension!

But seriously, got to be a great feeling to have the car move under it's own power. That's seriously Cool!

Now where ya hid'in the radiator??? Don't see it in any of the car pics.

Sounds like you've gotten the cooling all worked out. I'd get more seat time in it before making any changes. Water temps should be around 190F???

Jeff
Old December 4th 2007, 18:47

I kept trying to cool my Eco down too much. It would see the cool temp and go to closed loop and fatten everything up. better try to stay close to whatever normal temps are for 1.8s. 195-205??
VKG Bastage child
Old December 4th 2007, 21:45

I think it's in Celsius or Farenheit, I can't remember which is the small numbers, but the ECU measures in the small numbers. In the Bentley manual it lists the big and the small numbers in parenthesis, or maybe I just have it set WAY to low. On the ECU program's virtual dashboard it has the small numbers too, and it goes into the yellow zone at like 90 and red at like 100, so I figure it uses the small number system. I feel kinda dumb for not knowing which is which, but growing up in Canada then living in the US my numbers are all mixed up anyway...

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run

Last edited by volkdent; December 4th 2007 at 22:08.
Old December 4th 2007, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS guy View Post

Now where ya hid'in the radiator??? Don't see it in any of the car pics.
With the thinness of the front plate of the A-arm suspension there is actually space between the front of the frame and the back of the spare tire well, part of the reason I wanted to switch to a different front end setup. If you look back through the pics you'll see where the rad sits. I cut the outer edges out of the body so the rad extends beyond the body slightly, although the plan was to have it all contained, I wasnt' that great with measuring. Air will be forced through it like in the new Corvettes, small opening ducting through a large radiator. Much of the air going under the car will be forced through the radiator by a plastic lower lip that runs the width of the front of the car, and about half of that width will be ducting into the radiator. Think of an air funnel that's not so obvious! I just hope it works....I'm going to leave it as a flat plane for now, and if I need more cooling at speed, I'm going to cut it in 2 places so the plane area in front of the rad area is hinged. I'll then get some small cables attached to the leading edge of that plane, kinda looking like those braces on the front lip of the COT NASCRAP cars. These cables will go through holes drilled into the spare tire well floor. From the floor up these cables will go through springs and finally have stops on them. At city speeds, the springs will keep the cables pulled up, out of the reaches of speed bumps, driveways, and rough roads. As the speeds increase, usually the road smooths out so clearance is less of an issue(in a perfect world), and the hinging plane will drop from air pressure to the stops, creating a larger funnel area, and it will trap and gather more air as it's needed. Think of a poor mans/passive version of those active intakes on the top back sides of the Veyron and Murcielago. If these are even needed, I won't know without testing, but I could also lock them out in the winter when temps are cooler and roads are poorer and then take out the locks for summer use. These are the ramblings of a crazy man, but at least they are well thought out...

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run

Last edited by volkdent; December 4th 2007 at 22:10.