GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old November 10th 2005, 14:38

best trans for a hi-po bug

what are some good trans setups for a bug that will be putting out 250+ HP? I'd prefer a 5 speed but i don't know what porsche trans' will handle it and go in without too much hassle and i don't really want to get a 5 speed kit. however, i don't really mind going 4 speed, i just need somethign that will handle the power i want to put out. i'd like to keep the cost under 1200 dollars, i don't mind riding on a used transmission, just so long as it holds up.

thanks a ton
Old November 13th 2005, 20:42

Well a new trans is out of the question for a 5 speed under 1200. Porsche trany's need some massaging to get in the back end of a beetle. but if you don't really want to look a 915 will handle 300 lb/ft of torque. a porsche 901 trans will handle 250 lb/ft of torque. Torque is the killer of tranny's not hp. What motor are you planning on to get 250 hp?

You really need to check out some of the tech articles on the main germanlook.com page. Most of the posts you have been asking have been answered in detail with pictures there. By the way your expectations are a little high for the price that you are willing to pay. I have roughly $5000 into my pan front/rear suspension brakes and motor, no trans/shifter no body work.

If you are looking at a subaru motor $2500 is the BARE minimum you should have in mind.

98' Audi A4
93' T-Bird (oh yeah!)
90' 911 C2
74' beetle