GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old April 9th 2008, 04:22

Hi

I going to use 930 CVs because of their extra operating angle ability. Sway away make suitable axles in many sizes.

I have 2 sets of "turbo" CVs, one set is very thick which I believe is from a 930, and the thinner ones I have are from a later turbo Porsche.

VW have 33 tooth axles and Porsche 930 have 28 tooth axles according to Sway away.

Steve
Old July 19th 2008, 20:20

915 trans and cv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Good info, as I didn't know this either.

I think however that the 110mm stock porsche CV's (90% of all 915's carry this size as stock...) are probably more than most of us will ever need.
Im slightly confused if anyone can put me straight here please.... I have purchased what I believe [was told] is a later model 915 tranny. That being the stronger diff model. [I understand 1975 on?] Anyway I am running the original steel type 1 arms. I have measured the cv flange on tranny appears to be 100mm. Can someone advise me what cv to look for? Are all the 100mm cv's the same bolt pattern? will it fit the type 1 drive shafts [spline]. Basicaly will the right cv get me running? Your help and advise much appreciated. Brent. ....
Old July 20th 2008, 09:44

Brent,

Basically all 100mm joints are the same bolt pattern. The early 944 (83-85), T4's, Thing and bay window bus CV's all are 100mm with the fine spline (33). They will fit onto a T1 shaft, but they are wider (thatn T1) so you will have to machine the shoulder on a T1 shaft to accomadate the extra width of the joint for the retaining clip. Alternatively, you could leave the clip off...? The 944/T4 joints have smaller balls than the bay window joints, so the 944/T4 ones can handle more misalignment.

I think for your setup the ideal solution is to get a complete early 944 axle with joints, and then change your stub axles on the wheel side to 944 early aswell, so you have 100mm joints everywhere.

The later 944 (86+) are also 100mm, but they are coarse spline and do not fit onto a T1 axle-shaft.

The big 930's are 108mm I believe...

Hope that clears things up,
Lanner
Old July 22nd 2008, 09:03
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

there you go...............
Old October 24th 2009, 12:12

I got drastic and cut the entire rear torsion out to put a custom one in. I'm cutting about 9" from the middle so I can move the tranny up and forward. I don't have to worry about clearance as it's in a kit car. I took a rear torsion adjuster and split it in half and will weld each end on the inside of the torsion housing then fab up a mount for the tranny and engine support. Lots of fabbing but I still need to calc how far up and forward I can go without the 930 CVs binding. I think it's about 4" forward and up. ANyone else do this?
Jeff