GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old May 27th 2010, 05:40

Flipping rear arms and camber

Anybody know how low to set the rear end with flipped arms to bring the camber back to stock? Hope this makes sense. I am tring to decide how low to go and still have decent camber.
Dave
Old May 27th 2010, 05:54

I think the answer is 'suck it and see'. The tolerances in the manufactured components will mean there is no such definitive answer. The thing is that with an IRS back end a camber of -1/2* to -2* is desireable depending on your driving style. That is induced by lowering the car that is also beneficial. Flipping the rear arms is therefore not a normal solution.
If you do flip the arms I suppose you do realise that the damper mount need to be cut off the remounted?

Clive
Old May 27th 2010, 11:39

Try here http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10217
Old May 28th 2010, 05:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbomb View Post
The springplate notching shown is verging on the irresponsible. I can definitely see the thing cracking up due to the weaked section and the stress risers induced by the cutting. Remember also that one of the tenents of this site is that it for Germanlook cars that I take to be those that enjoy fast road and/or track use where the stresses on suspension components is increased, so such modifications should not be advocated.
Besides which why would you need to go as low as can be achieved with a trailing arm flip????? (Unless of course its a trailer queen.)

Clive
Old May 28th 2010, 09:29

Not to mention the effin stupid removal of the spring plates in the first place. I don't condone stupidity, and I know everyone has removes the plates with hammers before but at least stick something under there to make sure you don't lose fingers, or potentially seriously damage an arm removing it in an irresponsible manner

And as Clive pointed out, street rods are usually meant for posing not performing. Don't go putting your life at risk with piss poor techniques. If you want lower spring plates there are dog leg and adjustable ones available. Or whack some airbags and do away with all the suspension if that is what you so desire.
Old June 6th 2010, 04:28

As above, In my view flipped arms dont give that much camber reduction any way if your thinking of 'really low'... the best way is to use camber adjusters on the inner pivot, these are not cheap, and still may not give you what you want.
Also, at the build stage, its possible to reposition the inner brackets for desired camber reduction, which can give you more scope, but some knowledge and fabbing skill is required to pull it of, pun intended..