GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old March 20th 2006, 15:22

Katrina....6 months later....

Just got back from New Orleans a few days ago and put up some pictures over on the STF.

http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=98761
Old March 21st 2006, 05:08

I am not doubting the extent of the damage by any means, but imo, the saddest part of the entire situation down there, is the fact that nobody ever notices the amount of improvements that are showing up. Sure, there's shrimp boats in the middle of neighborhoods and a lot of wrecked homes, I was in N.O. 3 days after the hurricane was out, I saw it all first hand, I've got plenty of pictures. But I also saw 30+ eletrical trucks driving down neighborhood streets, I saw 6 and 8 blackhawk choppers hovering over the city, pulling out stranded people, I saw generators up and running providing basic electricity to large portions of the city, I saw smaller communities have electricity and plumbing within a week, I saw police officers from western states, construction crews from Washington and Oregon, electric crews from New Jersey... Major interstates were cleared of debris within just a few days. There are so many g00d things going on, it's really sad to me that all the bad always overwhelms those accomplishments. My heart goes out to all the people down there who lost so much, but I'd love to see more positive things being noticed t00...

btw, I was driving through Atlanta Monday morning (early am) and am continually amazed and the large amounts of traffic on 285, even at the ungodly hours... I hate driving through there during Rush hour :P
Old March 24th 2006, 17:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik
There are so many g00d things going on, it's really sad to me that all the bad always overwhelms those accomplishments. My heart goes out to all the people down there who lost so much, but I'd love to see more positive things being noticed t00..
I'll agree with you. I put the pictures up for those who have forgotten about the city. I know many people have not seen what it still looks like and if they think "there is a lot going on and major improvements are being made" with out seeing that there still are places that are very much damaged and destroyed then some of those people will think all is well and forget about the whole thing.