GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old January 26th 2006, 13:12

Tangerine exhaust

It had been a while since I surfed around looking at exhausts and noticed one at Tangerine for the Beetle that caught my eye. Does anyone have any experience with this? (This would be for a 2056 or 2270 T4 if I choose this route.)

I know Tangerine has an excellent reputation. I also know their pricing is more than chump change. I just never saw one of their exhausts exit through a stock apron before. It also doesn't seem to be as low as an A-1 -- a consideration I am forced to live with.

Old January 26th 2006, 18:20

Nice welds!!!
Old January 26th 2006, 18:28

Have you viewed the exhaust system shootout on my site yet??? It goes over each system as they rolled off my dyno in back to back tests.
www.aircooledtechnology.com/research.htm

The Tangerine is a SUPER nice system and it fits and has the best quality of any system available. Unfortunately the A-1 was able to knock the Tangerine off it's crowned perch as the best conversion exhaust system for peak power during the exhaust shootout- and the A-1 is 1K bucks cheaper..

Nothing makes torque like a Tangerine, nothing makes HP like the A-1
Old January 27th 2006, 11:14

Just out of curiosity, Jake, how does that test 2270 compare to the kit 2270 you have available?
Old January 28th 2006, 11:11

i've heard one while at Jake's before as well as on his 914. sound is unmatched. his stats speak for the rest. knowing what you are shooting for performance and budget-wise though Oasis, i would think the A-1 is an acceptable route.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old January 28th 2006, 15:30

Sorry, zen, I wasn't very clear with my question. Jake's answer about dynos in comparing exhausts satisfied my curiosity in the exhaust department.

I liked seeing the dyno charts. I'm a chart and table type person anyway.

I was more curious in my follow-up question about comparing that particular 2270 engine used for testing and the 2270 engine one would get if they bought one of his kits.
Old January 28th 2006, 15:42
Administrator

I think the 2270 used in the exhaust test had a bit more agressive cam and head work than the kit combo. I helped with the exhaust test, and I seem to recall that it was a high strung 2270.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old January 29th 2006, 02:21

Thanks. Those numbers did seem to be higher than what I would have expected by my many attempts to read between the lines.
Old January 30th 2006, 11:39

The engine used for the exhaust system tests were from a 2270 "J" combination. This engine makes power in the higher revs more and most 2270s and certainly more than my "Kit" version.

The A-1 would compliment the engine kit more than the Tangerine will.The 2270 "kit" combo is already a torque monster and needs the A-1 to broaden out the range and add a few exra bits of power as "HP".
Old January 30th 2006, 15:48

I don't know much about the A1 except that it made more horsepower than the Tangerine and that it makes for a clearance issue for me. I have had a Tangerine for 15 months on my 71 super. I have a 2321 (71 x 102) T4 from Jake and because of the way I use my car I would have purchased the Tangerine no matter what. Torque is awesome, horsepower sells. I drive my car between 200 to 300 miles per week these days and do drive it everywhere, street, dirt roads, over curbs, off roads. The clearance that is achieved with the Tangerine can not be met by any other system I have looked at. I regularly back into parking spaces and never have to worry about dragging my engine much less my exhaust, the tires are the only things that hit. My car sits at or above stock level because I need it to go any where. If you decide to go with the A1 I would understand. The Tangerine was and I'm sure still is very expensive. I know from experience that you will have NO issues with workmanship or with clearance with the Tangerine.

Oh, my exhaust has a Phase 9 and a Quiet Can, not that cool muff that exits the stock holes. Just remembered, the only thing that is a pain in the butt with the Tangerine is that you have to drop the system to adjust the valves. A small price to pay if clearance is of any importance to you.