GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old December 12th 2002, 17:51

which axle setup?

I have a set of 944 Turbo control arms and right now a type 1 tranny. Do I have to use the 86 up 944 halfs shafts with a type 181 tranny flange because of the wider track? Or could I get away with type 2 axles since they are a little longer? I'll be running a stock Type IV 2.0 so it would be nice to run the beefy CV's but not mandatory.

Nick
Old December 13th 2002, 02:21

Can't help you on this one. I am not familar with the turbo suspension arms. Most likely the axles which came with the turbo arms are the ones you need to use. The 944 trans is about the same width as the bug I think. If you change the arms the axles which came with the arms should be the right length.
If the axles don't bind at level or full down they will work. What happens if the axles are to short is that they will pull out the center of the CV at full down or up. If they are too long they will push out the center of the CV at level. If the axles are OK you can grab them and move them back and forth with the car level. Depending on the condition of the car this may be easy or hard, but if right they will move. Hope it helps.
Old December 13th 2002, 12:33

Thanks for the reply chigger.

Nick
Old December 13th 2002, 13:13

I've have probably the same set up you plan to do, except mine came from a 944 turbo cup. The Cup was a special edition, with even , although slightly, larger everything (i.e. front disc width is 3.2 cm!!), brake wise that is. I think, the Alu arms are probably the same width as the ' normal' 944 turbo.
I used the type 2 axles, which are just the extra length you need for the wider track of the 944 arms and used the bus CV joints for the 944 arm-(out)side, since they are 10 cm at the flange and bug are 9 cm at the axle flange.... Fits beautifully and the bug CV joints slide easily over the bus axle (of course!).
Good luck,
Walter
Old December 13th 2002, 18:27

Thanks Walter, that what I'll do, type2 axles, type 2 outer CV's, type 1 inner CV's. It's almost too easy.

Nick