GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old September 21st 2007, 20:09

most permanent ball joints ever?

can anyone give advice on pressing in/out ball joints on my '79? i went to 3 places here in bowling green and no one could do it, including the Caterpillar dealer whose huge pneumatic press couldn't budge it! four Cat mechanics couldn't figure it out, but they did manage to bend the end of the arm about an inch.

don't mind the crappy paint job. i shined 'em up so they might be more careful and i haven't replaced the painted-over bushings yet.

i'm trying to get my kerscher ball joints in to finish off my suspension for real, and most places get nervous when they find out they don't get a redo.

super beetle ball joints can't be that ridiculous, can they? for all this effort i could've had them build new arms! and if i replace enough arms it might wind up cheaper!

1979 'vert w/944 NA brakes + Boxster S wheels and begging for a paint job and a Subie swap
Old September 21st 2007, 20:20

You'll have to replace them at this point, they're too beat. Did you use penetrating liquid like WD-40 for a week or so before your attempt?

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old September 21st 2007, 20:30

Ouch! That arm is bent! You might want to source another set of trailing arms. The camber will be out of spec, and your new ball joints may bind at that angle. I restored a '79 Vert for my father-in-law five years ago, and his ball joints pressed out OK. I have a ball joint press with correct receiver tubes so no stress was put on the arm itself. I don't remember the arms having that much angle. (they were straight IIRC, not angled down like that)

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old September 21st 2007, 22:54

I had mine done..the guy used his 8 ton press and every bit of it with a long pipe..hes never seen one so stuck in there..but he finally got it out..he even had the right sleeves and everything....just majorly stuck since 1973!
If its bent tho..id just get another one..i dont think they are to expensive.
Old September 22nd 2007, 00:58

yeah, that arm's done. luckily they didn't try to remove the second ball joint. nothing on my car had been replaced since '79, including the brake lines, so i'm sure the ball joints have never been off.

i didn't soak them because i assumed many tons of pressure would suffice, but i guess i'll have to rethink my plan. i'm doing all my work at my apartment, so i have to have everything back together every night so it's not obvious that i'm trying to build a car where i'm technically not supposed to be even working on one.

i'm just not sure what to try differently on the next two arms, since i went to the people with the biggest presses around, to my knowledge, and all i got was a bent arm. :disagree:

1979 'vert w/944 NA brakes + Boxster S wheels and begging for a paint job and a Subie swap
Old September 22nd 2007, 22:52

If its done right I don't know that the arm should recieve any force at all except compression right around the cup....
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old September 23rd 2007, 20:07

You are correct Volkdent. Force is only applied to the area about an 1/8 of an inch all the way around ball joint.

VKG
Old September 23rd 2007, 22:04

i think the "if it's done right" thing seems to be the problem around here. i just remembered there's a european car place in town that i'll try next time and maybe they'll be able to do something with it.

Old September 23rd 2007, 22:06
Superman

I know this will sound wild but I read it in Popular Mechanics, take some Coca-cola and pour it on there and let it soak a bit. The acid and other chemicals in the coke will actually get in the cracks and eat away the grit and grease in there. Then clean up afterwards and soak in WD-40 over night.

Lastly, if you just can't get this done local you could send them to Topline in California and have it done and/or buy some used one(s) from them to save on two-way shipping.

Last edited by Superman; September 23rd 2007 at 22:11.
Old September 24th 2007, 00:40

i really might try that coke idea just to see what happens. i first have to find another arm but i'll let you know if it blows up or anything fun.

Old September 24th 2007, 01:09
Superman

It's on page 104 of the Oct. '07 Popular Mechanics. The article is about plumbing but it's the same concept here. I've never tried it, let us know the results.
Old September 24th 2007, 19:32

Dave, have you tried Pm'n Mikey?(also in KY) He knows a VW Mech...

If not, pay shipping both ways, and I'll do'em for free. (just because I hate to see people destroy VW parts)

VKG
Old September 25th 2007, 10:33

actually i'd forgotten about tim hall, who mikey works for. if the european place in town can't do it i might call him, 'cause i live about an hour from them.

if nothing else works i might take you up on your offer wrench!

Old September 25th 2007, 20:40

Glad I could jog your memory Let me know if they can't... i'm just one state below'ya.

VKG
Old October 23rd 2007, 15:15

well they're out! i didn't get to try the coke trick because i couldn't get arms until a couple of days before i took 'em. the local machine shop heated them until the ball joints fell apart and then had to cut out the races (or whatever that'd be called). those suckers were stuck!