GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Articles > Technical Articles

Old April 29th 2010, 20:50

Post Want to see my tool?

by NO_H2O
Feb 04, 2003

Overview

Due to the tight spring, it is almost impossible to use a hook type spring compressor to assemble or adjust the Maxx Struts safely. It is also hard to fit a full strut compressor in the wheel well. So I hit the drawing board and make a tool that I could fit in the wheel well and compress the strut safely.

With some 1/2 inch plate steel, all thread rod, nuts, washers and the help of a machinist friend. I came up with a great tool and just had to share it with you.

Step 1

You need a 5x8 piece of plate steel, 3-foot stick of 1/2 inch all thread rod, 4 nuts and 4 washers. Cut the plate steel into 4x5 sections. Bore a 2-1/2 inch hole in the center of each section. Then 1/2 inch in from each side you will need to drill each section, the top will need to be drilled and tapped for 1/2 all thread the lower section should be drilled so that the all thread passes freely thru it. The large center hole (2 1/2) needs to be beveled so that it will conform to the spring caps on the Maxx Strut, this will keep it from coming off when it is compressed (safety first).

Next you will need to cut large slots in one wide side of each section. The top section 2-1/4 inch wide and the bottom 2 1/2 inch wide. The top section needs some trimming in order to fit up into the top strut well. Grind off the corners and edges until you can slip in up and over the top spring cap. When you can get it to fit you are ready to use. It will help to loosen the 3 mount nut on the top of the struts.

Step 2

Slip the top section in place. Thread the rods into the plate and tighten a nut up to the plate on each side, this will keep the rod from coming out when you loosen the tool to relax the spring (keep an eye on it when relaxing the spring MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT COME OUT WITH PRESSURE ON THE STRUT).

Next slip the lower section on the strut and slip the rods thru the holes. Put 2 washers on each rod with some grease in between them and install the nut on each rod. Snug the lower nuts up and then alternate a couple of turns on each until the strut is compressed to the point you need. Move the ring and then loosen them alternating a couple turns on each until there is no more pressure on the strut. Then disassemble the tool in the reverse order of assembly. Again MAKE SURE THE ROD DOES NOT COME OUT OF THE TOP SECTION WHEN RELAXING THE STRUT.

I hope this little tool helps you out when building or adjusting your struts.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design

Tags
strut, super beetle, tool