GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old September 3rd 2002, 09:53

my bug.. whatever style you want to call it.. will always run a type1 based motor.. ive got too much cash/time/blood/sweat invested in type1 tuning gear to warrant a swap to type4. currently i have a 1600 motor with twin carbs and a header.. doesnt sound much, but its taken me 6 years to get the motor where it is now. the swap to type4 would take me a decade!! LOL! future plans include 1.4:1 rockers and headwork in the short term and a stroker crank (forged c/w type1 or WBX) and 90.5's in the long term... the carbs and exhaust can cope with any upgrades i make.. i purposely fitted parts that are either slightly too big now, or at least correct now but upgradeable..
Old September 7th 2002, 14:26

I have sold my 1776 after a couple of RWYB gos at BugJam Santa Pod. That sounds really sad, but I think I have been bitten by the "go faster" bug. The 1776 was a well built unit, that went really well, and did not give me any problems.

The new engine is a type 1, and at the present time is all parts. The exact spec is going to be good, with "large" and "torque" in the description.

The 1303 is a heavy car compared to a standard beetle, and I decided on a type 1 engine, as it was within my budget for the type of power that I want to get. I agree that the the Type 4 is a better more modern engine, but the type 1 can be made reliable with extra cooling and better filtration. I will not be using the bug as a daily driver, so reliability will not be so much of a problem. I tend to change the oil every 1.5 K anyway, and treat the engine with great respect, eg waiting until engine is warm before taking on a run etc..

I removed my speakers from the rear shelf and saved about 4.5 stone in weight, I will also be adding plastic rear and rear side windows to save a bit more, and get a better power to weight ratio.

I would like to have built a type 4, but I cannot justify the extra cost, and also the more limited selection of parts available. I do not think it matters what engine is in your GL, only that I do not like water cooled engines put into beetles, I feel this is cheating, as we all know HP is easy add on in modern cars. The engine should be a VW air cooled engines, and perhaps if really, really pushed the water cooled boxer engine (still think its cheating IMHO).