GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old December 30th 2002, 21:43

Question Strut crowns with adjustment plates

Anybody know where to get camber plates in America? I've installed Porsche 944 struts, spindles, and brakes on a 1302 (with 1303 control arms) and at it's most negative position, I have about 5 degrees of positive camber on both sides.

I know that these are available in Europe, but are any available in the United States?

Yetibone
Old January 1st 2003, 12:39

I face the same problem too. I'm making some longer aluminum control arms to solve the problem. Would you be interested in them as well?
Old January 2nd 2003, 08:13

Lightbulb

Eureka! I figured it out!
Take the strut loose from the spindle. Use a 3/8" burr on a die grinder and elongate the top hole on the strut (where it bolts to the spindle) towards the inside about 2mm. Then take a grinder
and remove 2mm of metal from the spindle, right to the inside of where the corresponding bolt hole is. Elongating the bolt hole in the strut gives a further range of adjustment, and removing metal from the spindle lets it move closer the strut without any compromise in structural integrity. When finished, I had about 3.5 degrees NEGATIVE camber!
I am interested in some different lower control arms though. Seems like stock 1303 arms are kinda gimpy, and the stronger 1302 arms just flat won't work with Porsche spindles. Let me know how yours turn out

yetibone
Old January 2nd 2003, 09:35

The bottom of mk1 golf struts allow for camber adjustment with an eccentric washer. You could use the same idea, might be safer than just elongating the hole?
Old January 2nd 2003, 13:30

Quote:
Originally posted by yetibone
Eureka! I figured it out!
Take the strut loose from the spindle. Use a 3/8" burr on a die grinder and elongate the top hole on the strut (where it bolts to the spindle) towards the inside about 2mm. Then take a grinder
and remove 2mm of metal from the spindle, right to the inside of where the corresponding bolt hole is. Elongating the bolt hole in the strut gives a further range of adjustment, and removing metal from the spindle lets it move closer the strut without any compromise in structural integrity. When finished, I had about 3.5 degrees NEGATIVE camber!
I am interested in some different lower control arms though. Seems like stock 1303 arms are kinda gimpy, and the stronger 1302 arms just flat won't work with Porsche spindles. Let me know how yours turn out

yetibone
Hmm... You elongated the hole? But what about the original eccentric bolt? It's a 17mm head. I heard that if you replace it with 12mm, you don't have to make any holes bigger yet you get more camber. Makes sense as the head is smaller so it allows for more adjustment. But I'm worried how it will hold adjustment as the cam on the bolt sort of pushes against the strut. With bigger holes, I'm not too sure....

I have a new idea... How about leaving the top stock and drill out the bottom instead? This way, you can use an additional pair of original 17mm eccentric bolts!

Will keep ya updated with the new arms. Anyone here good with maths to help me calculate the length and angles? :-)

SprintStar.
Old January 2nd 2003, 13:41

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Percival
The bottom of mk1 golf struts allow for camber adjustment with an eccentric washer. You could use the same idea, might be safer than just elongating the hole?
The 944 struts already have this adjustment.
Old January 2nd 2003, 13:58

You would have to make provisions to locate the eccentric on the bottom, which would be very easy to do with a 2mm piece of flat steel, and a torch. I've thought about this, and the only thing that concerned me was the elongation of the bottom hole in the strut towards the outside. Failure of this bolt hole would result in partial seperation of the strut from the spindle. By modifying the top bolt hole, removing metal from side of the hole closest to the strut tube, you dont compromise the integrity of the bolt hole as you would by removing metal from the wheel/spindle side of bottom bolt.
I also used a small die-grinder to move the eccentric locator's inner edge 2mm. towards the strut tube (all they are for is alignment adjustment. They don't actually KEEP it aligned. The bolts do that)
It worked great om Hummbug! We posted pics in our profile of the struts installed.

Yetibone
Old January 5th 2003, 11:56

Quote:

I also used a small die-grinder to move the eccentric locator's inner edge 2mm. towards the strut tube (all they are for is alignment adjustment. They don't actually KEEP it aligned. The bolts do that)
It worked great om Hummbug! We posted pics in our profile of the struts installed.

Yetibone
Hmm... Good idea of yours!!! But I thought the cam is supposed to help hold the alignment as well?

If you are sure the hole trick will do and keep the alignment for a long time, I'll go ahead with it and halt the aluminum arms project. They are expensive!!!! About $100 a pair!

Old January 5th 2003, 15:59

I wont be able to try it on the road for another couple of months. Still waiting for the crankshaft we want to come available, so I can build the motor, but I have seen many other cars that have the same type of camber adjustment (Nissan, Toyota, and older Acura Integras I think) and no eccentric cam at all! I figured that if it works on all those front engine cars, then it should on a VW with such a large center to rear weight bias. After all, 944 struts and spindles were designed to support twice the weight that a 1303 could ever burden them with.

When the whole project comes together and is on the road, I intend to go ape s#!t and drive it like I stole it in this abandoned parking lot close by (want to se how it does pendilum turns!)
I will report after the shakedown!

Cheers
yetibone
Old January 6th 2003, 02:45

Quote:
I wont be able to try it on the road for another couple of months. Still waiting for the crankshaft we want to come available, so I can build the motor, but I have seen many other cars that have the same type of camber adjustment (Nissan, Toyota, and older Acura Integras I think) and no eccentric cam at all! I figured that if it works on all those front engine cars, then it should on a VW with such a large center to rear weight bias. After all, 944 struts and spindles were designed to support twice the weight that a 1303 could ever burden them with.

When the whole project comes together and is on the road, I intend to go ape s#!t and drive it like I stole it in this abandoned parking lot close by (want to se how it does pendilum turns!)
I will report after the shakedown!

Cheers
yetibone
You rock manz!!! Mine is a daily-driver project. Brakes and suspension just in a couple a weeks back. Super brakes!!! Yummy, you're gonna love yours!

And hehe... I drive mine like I stole it too! Compared to upkeeping other brands of cars, my VW is a steal!
Old January 7th 2003, 03:07

superbeetle camber/casterplates

Could someone do me a favour and measure the diameter of the holes in chassis for the struts upper mounts?
I need the diameter because I`m fabricating camber/caster plates for vw1302(=older superbeetle) and I only have the suspension parts. Still looking for a solid and cheap chassis...and a permission from my wife to buy one.
So if you have a `71-73 super, please measure the hole in chassis where the struts upper mount bearing is fixed.
Thank you, Justin.
Old January 7th 2003, 09:37

Re: superbeetle camber/casterplates

Quote:
Originally posted by juse
Could someone do me a favour and measure the diameter of the holes in chassis for the struts upper mounts?
I need the diameter because I`m fabricating camber/caster plates for vw1302(=older superbeetle) and I only have the suspension parts. Still looking for a solid and cheap chassis...and a permission from my wife to buy one.
So if you have a `71-73 super, please measure the hole in chassis where the struts upper mount bearing is fixed.
Thank you, Justin.
Hello Justin,

I could do that for ya... And if your plates are cool, can I buy them too? :-)

Just a tasty tidbit first... The '03 hole is bigger than the '02 hole... Will measure and give ya the measurement tomorrow!

Sprint.
Old January 8th 2003, 02:29

Thank you.
I would be very grateful to you if you`ll do that for me sprintstar.
Justin
Old January 9th 2003, 03:13

"triple C" camber adjustment bolt

I think this clever product from H&R might interest you with a lowered later type super, check it out: http://www.hrsprings.com/site/frameproducts.html
Justin
Old January 9th 2003, 22:08

DIGGITY! I gotta have 'em. Thanx for the link Justin!