GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old January 28th 2008, 10:52

Question on One Piece Window

has anybody installed a one piece window set on their bug lately and if so how do you like it. does anybody know of a site where it walks you through the steps to install it. deciding whether or not to put one on my super bug. any help is very much appreciated. btw, newbie here to the web. thanks in advance!
Old January 28th 2008, 11:06

I did fit them on my first bug, they cleaned up the lines but the seals were a pain in the neck, they would get grabbed by the glass and pulled into the door. They weren't as stable on the short runner either as the glass isn't guided so well.
If you used the off the shelf felt backed seals they left open bits at the front. I'd just stick to blacked out frames to be honest, handy to be able to crack the quarter light open a small amount for ventilation..

Rich
Old January 29th 2008, 23:08

thanks for quick reply. just trying to get an idea of how i can fix up the supe
Old March 9th 2008, 16:36
c1023

One piece look great, but I'd go back to the vent if I could do it all over.

John
Old March 10th 2008, 00:14

For what it's worth, I have NEVER heard one person say they didn't regret doing one-piece window. They seals are a PITA to install and they will eventually leak and rattle -- no matter how good they are installed. Paint the frames black...
Old March 10th 2008, 02:27

I have them in my Oval-but they had already been fitted when I bought it.I think they were fitted by a complete idiot because they didn't work at all.They were hard to wind and when wound up would go out the channel and try to go out of the door frame.I looked at how it all worked and drilled new holes and made proper brackets for it to work OK.I used the original 1 piece belt line seals on the inside,but used original VW scrapers for the outers.I used a LH and RH one for each side-just cut and joined them(with Loctite rubber glue) where the original post for the 1/4 window fitted.I cut a thin piece of rubber and glued to the door where the recess for the post was-this took the sharp step away.This gave me the swept up rubbers at each end and seem to keep most of the water out.I used windscreen black silicone to glue them.It was a bit of a pain-but did about 6 inches at a time using these shaped bits of wood to hold until dry.I am really pleased with them now,no rattles,easy to wind and really nice to drive with no 1/4 window with the window down.I made these arm guards to put some stainless back on the door because of the missing window surround.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg armrest1sm.jpg (43.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg armrest2sm.jpg (37.6 KB, 52 views)