GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old January 22nd 2014, 01:01

where in the U.S.A to buy parts four coil overs

Hi, I've made it to about page 14 in the suspension section. I like that you can mod your own strut/coil overs.

It seems that theres only one seller, and that's in the U.K. does anyone know of a seller in the USA that sell the needed parts?
Old January 22nd 2014, 14:23
Administrator

I think a link to a post highlighting exactly what you're looking for would help.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old January 23rd 2014, 09:46

Good morning, I'm trying to find in the U.S. a company that sells parts were you can mod your own struts; for a coil over application. Here's one in the U.K http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/. I think I read where they don't sell to the U.S.due to possible liability issues.

Last edited by effvee; January 23rd 2014 at 09:54.
Old January 23rd 2014, 12:00

Try these guys. http://www.colemanracing.com Look all through their catalog. There are others, you just have to do a little google searching.

Also, here's a good how to article with sources: http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/foru...howtopic=12693

Last edited by H2OSB; January 23rd 2014 at 12:25.
Old January 23rd 2014, 14:51

Daymotorsports.com have a lot of options for piecing together a Coilover. What year is your super Beetle? If it is a 74 and newer, I would suggest just buying coilovers. Most people don't know that the lower 2 bolt strut offered on the 74-79 supers are the same strut as a vw mk1 rabbit (75-84). I'm running the same exact strut in mine offered from Raceland. You can even buy just the front 2 struts if you buy them for a vw rabbit pickup (vw caddy) cause they have struts up front and leaf Springs out back. The spring rates are of course very stiff, but I'm fine with them as Im setting mine up for track/ Canyon use. But if you want a softer spring rate, you can use daymotorsports.com to get a softer spring rate. Hope this helps. Here's a direct link for the coilovers I have. http://www.racelandus.com/coilovers/...lover-kit.html
Old January 23rd 2014, 17:33

I was going to do the same thing ^^. There are nice German made f/r sets made for a MK1 Caddy that would be perfect, available on Ebay. The sets I'm referring to come with complete coil over struts for the front and shocks for the back. The shocks are meant for a lowered suspensions. If I did not already have my own coil overs, I would do that as well, but I would replace the springs with 80 lbs/inch springs from Summit Racing (very inexpensive).
Old January 24th 2014, 15:38
Administrator

In the Audi world a lot of guys get their stuff from A1 Racing:

http://shop.a1racing.com/coiloverkits.aspx?page=2

I've been meaning to get around to the front coilovers on my car...

-Dave
Old January 25th 2014, 11:08

Good morning, thanks for the info. I see many are doing the threaded shaft in aluminum, I'll keep looking for the steel type, better in the long run/safer.
Old January 25th 2014, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by effvee View Post
Good morning, thanks for the info. I see many are doing the threaded shaft in aluminum, I'll keep looking for the steel type, better in the long run/safer.
I've never seen it in steel. If someone finds a source, I might be willing to switch it out.
Old January 25th 2014, 12:05

Ok, looking at my own link, I found Coleman sells a steel sleeve, but it's very specific in size. It's 2.04 inches I.D., 7 inches long. Threads look pretty fine. You'd need to very diligent about maintenance on those to avoid rust.
Old January 26th 2014, 14:59
Administrator

Not sure why someone would think steel is safer for this application? Considering the way the loads are applied through the threads, aluminium will hold up just fine. From a long-term safety perspective, the chances of properly anodized aluminum corroding to the point of fatigue are much smaller than the chances of steel corroding to the point of fatigue.

-Dave

Last edited by owdlvr; January 26th 2014 at 22:09.
Old January 26th 2014, 18:37

Honestly, that's what I figured as well...The struts I made have a Ground Control coil over kit that's approximately 10 years old and aluminum, and they look brand new. Course, I'm not certain exactly how much road time they've had.
Old February 6th 2014, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by owdlvr View Post
Not sure why someone would think steel is safer for this application? Considering the way the loads are applied through the threads, aluminium will hold up just fine. From a long-term safety perspective, the chances of properly anodized aluminum corroding to the point of fatigue are much smaller than the chances of steel corroding to the point of fatigue.

-Dave
Hi,I do not think aluminum is the better,plus where the aluminum meets the steel it not welded. With steel i feel the whole process is stronger. The aluminum is easier in the matching process.
Old February 7th 2014, 15:20

I've been getting most of my parts from summitracing.com. the aluminum sleeves needed to be clearanced to fit over the strut bodies so there is a metal to metal interference fit (i had to heat up the sleeves a little bit to slide them on). I've been racing/street driving on the same set of aluminum ground control sleeves for 11 years and they still work great.
Old February 9th 2014, 00:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
I've been getting most of my parts from summitracing.com. the aluminum sleeves needed to be clearanced to fit over the strut bodies so there is a metal to metal interference fit (i had to heat up the sleeves a little bit to slide them on). I've been racing/street driving on the same set of aluminum ground control sleeves for 11 years and they still work great.
Thank you, good to know. So with the interference fit, it makes for a solid fit?