GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old August 19th 2007, 14:49

Remmele shop visit

Since my vacation was in 'The black forest' aka the 'Schwartzwald' in german, I pursuaded the wife to visit 'a' bug shop there, ahum:

Yellow-bird before the outside of Remmele's shop:

At the corner an ugly double headlamp'ed Memminger-bug, but it seems Eduard (Eddy) Remmele does a great deal of work for him (engines mostly).
Third bug from the right is 'project 2005' with the 3 ltr engine.. Nice detail is that he has a green '3L' emblem fitted on the deck lid.
Eddy: "It has nothing to do anymore with a VW Beetle..."
Here Remmele himself opening the deck lid :

'You may take as many pictures as you want'. Well, he didn't have to tell me twice ...
Here's the link to all of my pictures of this visit. Some pics say more than words huh :
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/my_photos.php?id=3653

My favourite car of the customer's cars in there:

Old August 19th 2007, 14:50

Part of the engine assembly part of the shop, which is just to be moved and rebuild at a specially set-up part of the front of the shop in the next coming weeks:

A lot of the specialty items I inquired about were not in stock any more. Some batches took several years to sell and were not worth the risk of the large initial investment, so I understood. 'Everybody wants 'Old-school' these days' was the (sad, but probably very true) reason...
More than 90% of his parts he used himself on cars he gets in to build for (mostly wealthy) customers. The time spend on telephone calls about how to use those specialty parts is also making him consider not to sell them anymore to others...
Luckily for the winter (= rebuild) time, some specialty parts will be in stock again.

We talked engines for some time, while his employee was busy building an engine (...). Needless to say it was a very informative and extremely interesting visit!

Last edited by Wally; August 19th 2007 at 14:53.
Old August 20th 2007, 00:41

Volkswagen Heaven-now that's a Workshop.Thanks for posting the pics-good coverage.
Old August 27th 2007, 17:19

It's too bad!

It's too bad he can't ship parts that people have paid for. Really nice guy to talk to and has a ton of information, but just can't deliver on his oversea orders. Beware, I had to take him to court, to get my money back, because he hadn't shipped any parts in a year which he had been paid for.

I believe if you are walking in off the street, he probably is good on his word, but if you order from somewhere in the US, Canada or Singapore, he doesn't want to come through on part delivery is many of our experience. So before you order anything, make sure you have a back up plan or willing to get an attorney to get your money back.

Just want people going in with their eyes wide open. Nice shop, ton of information, some great work, but beware what you are getting yourself into.

69 German Looker T4 2270 Raby Kit
Old August 28th 2007, 08:40

no clean room for engine builds!!! that's a little scarey. thanks for the pics. i wish i could have gotten over there last time i was in Germany. it didn't work out though.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old August 28th 2007, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
no clean room for engine builds!!! that's a little scarey. thanks for the pics.
Yeah, I noticed too. I found the not-covered-up 'open' engine cases a bit scary too to be honest.

What I forgot to take a picture of was a full-custom cast central plenum with custum cast alu runners for fitment behind the shallow Remmele shroud.
Very cool and very thought-out.
Lets just say I (and most of us I suppose) were amazed by many things there!

You're welcome of course.
Old August 28th 2007, 17:08

looking at those pics it kind of reminds me of a cool shop here in washington called speedware motorsports (they do porsche stuff) its so cool to see multiple bugs that have wheels on them that cost more than the car did new!
Old September 7th 2007, 09:21

Nice!!

Hehe finally some fenders (only rear) on the yellow one. I think I've seen some pics of that one 5-7 years ago when it was standing there almost just in the same progress. The same with the silver pan of which I saw pictures I think begin this year of and last year and still sitting the same.

Wiebrand
Old September 9th 2007, 10:44

sir Wally, I'm so jealouse! wish I could go there and do desame! Now that's a trip.:agree: