GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old February 7th 2013, 02:42

Making IRS work without going to mendeola truetrack... :)

What have you done to IRS suspension and what have been results?

At the moment i have:

-944 aluarms widening the track

-Remmele uniball kit

-18mm swaybar

-QA1 coilovers.

-Urethane bushings

According to Mendeola, their truetrack much more better, i dont doubt that its good, but i really want to try with 944 aluarms and rest.

Any problems with Camber? I'v been considering Marco Mansi camber adjusting bolts and hard POM bushings at inner pivots.
Old February 7th 2013, 14:28
Administrator

I'm very wary of the Mendeola rear suspension design. The system uses design elements like highly stressed fasteners in single shear, loads applied to the middle of tubes, and pre-buckled tubing. Any design book, whether an engineering text or those for us 'layman', will caution against these errors. Carroll Smith (Engineer to win) goes much further then caution!

I asked Mendeola about the issues I saw and was basically given an answer that "the vehicle will never create loads large enough for it to be a problem". Which, considering some of the track monsters here, I'm not very confident of. I would think that if you were to completely redesign the rear suspension of a vehicle, you would do so without including what have been accepted as "major engineering 'errors'". The system may very well be overbuilt for a Volkswagen, maybe even a track-day GL monster, but if I can see errors in the basic design I lose all confidence in it's claims.

It should be said, however, that the front system from Mendeola (for the standard beetles) has no major visible issues. My only complaint (from a purely performance perspective) is the choice of ball joints over rose ends. But that is an acceptable downgrade.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old February 8th 2013, 14:27

I hear you Dave.
I'am also still wondering what problem they wanted to solve there? Same goes for most creative rear suspension set-ups. IRS is good enough for 911's and 944's which raced up to huge hp with it in heavy cars on real racetracks in real competitive races.
The low 8 second 900+ hp Skinne beetle uses a basically stock IRS set-up.
Coil-over mandatory though and a real upgrade, but thats easy and you already got that. Other then that, what/why does it need changing? I would focus on the front end mostly.

Not a fan of urethane bushings, so I used some parts from porsche 944 performance shops, can't remember their names atm. Pics of both sides of the pivot point upgrades are still in my thread somewhere probably.
Old February 8th 2013, 15:34

I had an interesting technical conversation at thesamba about Truetrack rear suspension. But i am not an expert, just curious how different suspensions work and how they are built. My painter/bodyman is rally and trackdriver, and he has sometimes good advice about suspension. I know those 944 arm upgrades, finnish 9products sells also them. I know, there is not anymore much to do for rear suspension, i have almost every part for upgrading it. s

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...=asc&start=900

As you know, i did made the uniball kit for Volksmeister's bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrydes
For all of you Right Hand Drive guys. Yes Mendeola's can go both ways :wink:

I debated putting the rear shot of this car up for one main reason. The rear arms and pivots. The down side of using this type of set up in the rear, is if one of the rear arms has started to twist, the camber left to right will not be correct. With these pivots there is no way to properly adjust the rear suspension to make it equal. This is very important when tuning the suspension and being able to truly corner balance the rear of the car. It is a cool looking pcs, and the pivot point has been moved up, but is very limited in what it can do. Not to mention the size of the parts they take a lot of space from the back side of the wheel, thus limiting the size of rear tire that can go under the stock rear fenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrydes
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alex77-
Yeah, all Uniball kits what are available, take space at backside of the wheel.

We added connecting rod with L and R hand threads, so there is now easy little adjustment for toe in. Just like remmele.

But its true that Camber isnt as "solid" as on Mendeola rear suspension, because theirs arm is 100% solid, and stock irs arm on bug/924/944/968 is little bit flexible because of the springplate.
As you can see ours do offer a lot more room for larger tires and they are a lot easier to adjust both camber and toe.

Please understand I like it when people try to promote other companies stuff in this thread, as it allows us to do a side by side comparison without going out of our way to post pictures of their stuff and show the differences. Thanks for posting, and please understand that we looked at all the parts on the market before making our own because we were concerned about the quality of a few of the other parts out there and the over all performance gains by them.

Last edited by -Alex-; February 8th 2013 at 15:55.
Old February 11th 2013, 06:35

some may know i race my b/j car in a busy uk saloon car class, all serious race series have regulations governing suspension and its attachment, or what is known in racing as 'the pickup points', in many series these have to be retained. for my purposes, i chose steel a arms over the ally versions for many reasons, one being it gives me more scope to modify the setup and brace the arms against flexing with applied side loads. the arms are flipped l to r to improve the foot print and tyre life, with the lower shock mount removed and a new mount fabricated onto the top of the arm and fabricated in such a way as to brace the arm against flexing in the turns, just tightening the shock bolts helps brace the arm, an added gusset completes the job, the upper mounts are moved inboard and tied into the roll cage, pic shows them halfway through the conversion, ive clearanced enough to allow for coil overs should i desire them, tho my mantra with this car is to keep as near 'factory' as possible, and very well its going too, the setup in the photo above for instance, would be damaged if not torn off where i race, either on the track side kerbing, which we use hard, or from wheel to wheel contact just aiming you into a mashals post, its common enough, adjust-ability is all very well, but you better be good at your job, or mine will spank you while you play around and get lost in your little set up book of rules, the factory eqipment is damn good to start with, if you cant go quick with it, you wont go quick with more complex setup needs, just my views any way, i will post some pics when i can sort out new photo bucket. best regards Johnny.
Old February 13th 2013, 04:54

i still run a pretty much stock irs rear end on my 1303 race car. 944 torsion bars and spring plates along with steel arms [not flipped] none adjustable kyb shocks and a 944 anti roll bar.
theres enough adjustment in it to set it up and when i was running 9x15 rear rims with 240/540/15 slicks i had even tyre temps across the tyre. Its even better now i have gone to a narrow tyre and rim [7.5x17 with a 210/640/17 tyre] as i can get more heat into the tyre quicker.
the stock system works and works well plus its pretty light and easy to replace should you bend somthing.
Old February 14th 2013, 17:48

I guess I'll toss in my $.02 here

I would estimate with my 245/45-17 & 275/40-17 slicks and aero, my race bug generates some of the highest lateral loads of the circuit style bugs out there. I went with 944T aluminum arms mainly for the brake and track width upgrades. I swapped out for later 944T s2 arms for wheel speed censors and to correct a bent arm after body contact. I've been pretty happy with my setup over the last 10 years, but it does need some help.

Right now I've got:
944t S2 alu. arms
qa-1 single adjustable shocks
550# springs
17mm rear sway bar, (topline I think?)
urethane bushings everywhere
mendeola stiffy kafer brace
944/911 camber/toe adjustment bolts, also serve as sway bar pick up point
944 spring plates

What i have now is perfect for the street (except the spring rate, that's a bit much) but still a bit too compliant for track use.

-I want to swap out the 944 spring plates for some 935 style
-slighty heavier 600# springs
-swap shocks for double (or triple $$$) adjustable units

Not too much actually, I've been tuning my setup for a long time and I'm pretty close to having it dialed. Finishing around the top 10-15 in raw times out of 200 runners proves that my bug can hold it's own.

Does that mean you need a mendeola rear suspension? Yes and no. I think the mendeola kafer brace is one of the best out there and it's a must have regardless of what you decide. If you want to buy a kit that looks pretty sick, is truly bolt-on, and can take different brake options then it's hard to go wrong with the truetrack. I don't think the mendeola engineering is off base, and even if they were installed on my race bug, I don't think the rear arms would bend or crack under race loads. I do like their adjustable outer pivot for suspension tweaks, and even in single shear I don't think you need to worry about it, though I would still safety wire the thing. If you decide to go 944 aluminum instead you'll have to factor in the cost for arms, bushings, brakes, wheels, e-brake adapters, kafer brace, sway bar and so on. It might not be as good a deal as you think. Upgrading the stock steel arms with just bolt on items, coil overs/upgraded torsion bars, kafer brace, sway bar, and bushings will go farther than most folks have given credit.
Old February 15th 2013, 06:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
550# springs
17mm rear sway bar, (topline I think?)

-I want to swap out the 944 spring plates for some 935 style
-slighty heavier 600# springs
Why not use a (much) thicker sway bar first before upping the springs?
17mm is not that much imo.
Old February 21st 2013, 00:51

There are 2 schools of thought on this:

Heavier springs, with lighter sways to fine tune
or
Lighter springs, with heavier sways but more reliance on shocks to tune

For autox and hill climbs where the corners come at you fast, you want to keep weight transfer minimal so the car can react faster. I've found the best way to do this is with heavier springs, so they do most of the work and then you can fine tune it with a sway bar.

Weaker springs won't be able to deal with high cornering loads slick tires can generate even with a ridiculously large sway bar. You'll end up lifting a wheel and losing 1/4 of your grip.

With both setups you have to tune your shocks accordingly or it's all for nought.