GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old May 10th 2014, 04:07

DIY widefive front discbrakes on Mcpherson spindles.

Because of different reasons I'm in the process of making front discpbrakes with widefive bolt pattern.

I first of all bought the zero offset replacement rotors that are for balljoint widefive disc conversion kits. Took a chance as I was told that the drums and discs on balljoint spindles are the same parts as used on superbeetle spindles. So I assumed that the discs for the conversion would fit too.

For the bearings they work perfectly on the stub axle on both discbrake and drumbrake spindles. But the original caliper braket on the disc spindles hits the rotor on the wide five disc. On the drumbrake spindle it sits perfectly. The rotor sits basically about 5mm further in than compared to stock rotor.

I then took me 3 visits to the local carscrapyard for trying to find a suitable Caliper as the original superbeetle caliper don't fit between the rotor and widefive plate..

Finally ended up with VW Polo Mk2 front calipers. These have 48mm pistons so I'd say these are up for the task...

At the moment I'm working on an adapter design for the caliper.. I will machine the backside of the spindles flat so I can mount a 10mm adapter/bracket straight to the spindles.

Below some different designs.. (Front of car is to the left in the pictures)

Simple 2 bolt bracket.

Same but with an additional support to the third bolt.

Angled 20 degrees, otherwise the same as previous.

Any thoughts and comments?

I also have made one similar design with only 10 degree angle. No pic of that yet though.