GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old August 16th 2010, 23:45

autostick to manual - rhd

I know there are a lot of threads discussing how to change an autostick to a manual. My questions are more basic than that but loaded with caveats.

How easy would it be for a good mechanic to make the swap in a Super? I'm thinking in terms of number of hours and something like "not difficult at all" to "whoa, buddy, you're talking about a lot of fabrication."

What parts do I need to source?

How difficult is it to source these parts? The main caveat is this 1303 is RHD and I live in the USA.

How difficult would it be to continue the process to eventually make this a GL? (Remember the caveat above.)

I have been limited in time for searching for my GL replacement and a couple of possibilities have passed me by because of other priorities elbowing their way to the front. This 1303 has captured both my eye and my heart. I don't want to bother the seller with questions if this is a foolish endeavor, but this is the most excited I have been since a Mexican Brasilia came and went.

I really miss my 1302. I was shifting my Eos left-handed across my body tonight just imagining a RHD GL'er. I just don't want to be stupid with haste. Thanks in advance.
Old November 11th 2010, 11:41

hi i have done it twice now .once the engine and box is out .just need to weld holes inner rear wheel arc up .hope your bug has got a clutch cable tunnel running though the centre from gear stick to were the throttle cable come out .if not need to weld a cable holder in need to cut hole under gear stick.and make shore you put the clutch cable to the left of the throttle cable were it come out the back of the car .need a set of peddles gear stick and gear rod .hope you get the right rod they can differ .and the right clutch cable and throttle .they are different from lhd and rhd .i fitted a ris box .would say its a good 2days work from engine out weld etc .hope this helps all best martin in uk.try get a gt beetle there ace