GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old August 22nd 2004, 08:16

Question Calling Massive Type 4...

Hey there,

The Massive sight is down and was wondering if Raby or someone in the know could help me out.

Basically, Im on the tail end of a four year restoration of my 73 Super. It has turned out better than expected. The only area it lacks is the powertrain.

When I originally bought it, I didnt know very much at all about VW performance. I went ahead and bought a GEX 1835cc, based upon the professional appearance of the company and the like.

Now I am a bit more in the know. I realize my beetle is capible of much more than the GEX can offer. On top of that, I have heard less than positive things about that company's reputation.

With this in mind, I intend to run the gex for a year or so and get my money's worth out of it. After that, I intend to really "pump it up," as Arnold would say.

After a bit of reaserch on the ideal engine for my application, I have arrived at the conclusion that a type four would suit me well, as ease of instillation is paramount...after working on this car for so long I want the least amount of trouble possible!

In any case, I'd like to know what's avalible in terms of power. I must note this engine would be a daily driver and should be reliable and durable. Low maintenance and the ability to rack up high miles would also be a plus.

Im looking for speed coupeled with driveability. I occasionally go down to Philly with a friend of mine (who owns a heavily modded WRX) and participate in street races against all types of cars...its really a lot of fun. Anyhow, I would like a powerplant that could zip me around town all day without a hitch, then go down to the strip late night and give the civics a run for their money.

Is this possible? If I cant have the best of both worlds, I would have to put an emphasis on reliablity and longevity with max power coming in a close second. I would also like to use fuel injection on this car for a number of reasons and wondered if that was possible/desirable on a type IV. Would you say turbocharging is better, or is n/a the ideal route?

Finally, what types of modifications to the car (if any) are required to handel the type of power I desire?

Cost is not so much an issue, but I would like to know the ballpark Im playing in.

Thanks for your time.
Old August 22nd 2004, 09:38

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that I am also interested in a transmission as well. I was able to access a limited portion of the massive sight that delt with the trannys. I would most definatly want the limited slip variation...question is, four or five speed? Does the extra gear provide a noticeable advantage, or is it better to stick with the classic four? Ive also heard of durability issues with the five speed...does this hold any truth in regards to the massive tranny

Thanks again for your time.
Old August 22nd 2004, 13:51
Administrator

You need to call and scheduel a conversation with Jake (706) 219-4874
He has been working on the site. Lot's of new stuff in the works.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old August 23rd 2004, 09:42

We are adding over 100 engine combinations with in depth descriptions of each to the site...

I can do anything you want, call and make that appointment for us to talk and we'll figure something out then along with some pricing. You can always post these types of questions on my forum on the STF, folow the link from my site.

As far as whats available in terms of power: Its all in the budget. Power and longevity are both directly related to the amount of money you spend.