GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old September 12th 2003, 15:08

Recommended Type IV engine builders...

I have received several e-mails today from GL members asking about other Type IV engine builders. They all say that the only U.S. Type IV engine builder they have heard of is you-know-who. So cut through the bull and call one of the long time proven builders.

FAT Performance
(714) 637-2889
30 years building VW engines, racing and street

Wiks Racing Engines
(702) 837-2522
SCORE off-road racing engine builder of the year 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001

Both are very helpful, and will build excellent street engines without having to endure all of the marketing hoopla of the other. Buy an engine from someone that has a proven track record and the street use will be easy. They are just too busy building great engines to spend all day on the web telling everyone how darn good they are at building engines. In particular, I can say that Wiks is fast and fair on pricing. Do a Google search on them and you can take other peoples word for their work. In many cases they call those people the WINNER...

Thanks,

Randy
Old September 12th 2003, 16:24

Unhappy

So now that you're done grinding your axe ....

No doubt there are other folks out there that build Type IV engines, but I think a more effective presentation would be to provide a concise list of builder information for the membership to peruse (including ones you may have philosophical differences with). If I was looking to find one, the list would be useful and I am quite capable of asking for references and pumping those for past performance information regarding price, performance and schedule.

Maybe it's just me, but the tone of your post just killed what could have been extremely useful. Cheers!
Old September 12th 2003, 18:33

Yep, axe grinding at its finest ...

I agree .. the info would've been useful had the "bias" not been so obvious.

Old September 13th 2003, 11:16

positive postings...

After the private emails asking for other builders, I posted all of the builders that I had gotten great service from. Just my experience buying their experience. The problem is some new people think they do not have choices to go to. The presentation here sometimes is there is only one choice in the U.S.
And yes I was bothered by the attack on Alex, who did nothing wrong in questioning data that turned out to be posted wrong on the website. I would want a builder that I could question his choices on building my engine without having to worry he would blow up at me.

Thanks,

Randy
Old September 13th 2003, 11:25

Rouser...

the info is not useful now because I am biased?
Interesting perspective.

Thanks,

Randy
Old September 14th 2003, 00:20

Google.com

You can search under either "FAT Performance" or "Wiks Racing Engines". Quite a bit of what will come up is listing from races showing the results and whose engines/chassis are used. Others will discuss their engines/chassis. Both shops are good people and they stand behind what they sell.

Thanks,

Randy
Old September 14th 2003, 11:37

Quote:
Originally posted by Rouser
I agree .. the info would've been useful had the "bias" not been so obvious.

Rouser arent most peoples Testimonials biased towards the shops that they have had good experiences working with?
Isnt it also common for peoples opinions to biased towards shops that have treated them in a positive manner, when other shops have not treated them as well?
So how is SuperRSI's testimonial any different?

Why shouldnt anyone listen to him about his positive experiences with these shops just because he doesnt happen to like a shop that you have never even done business with, but always seem to defend for some reason?

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old September 14th 2003, 12:20

I build very, very few race engines, and do so for a reason. Most of my experience has been with street/dual purpose engines that must live a long life, and make solid power. Street engines are a totally different ball of wax than race engines. It is very easy to make power, but not easy to get the toss up between power and reliability and longevity.

I'm friends with Greg at FAT, I send him alot of race engine work, that we do not want to do....As for Adam Wik, I have never dealt with him, but we all have our place and there is enough work for all of us, and we each have our specialties.

FYI,
Everywhere I go in my shop the computer follows me....
Old September 15th 2003, 15:17

Quote:
Originally posted by vujade
Why shouldnt anyone listen to him about his positive experiences with these shops just because he doesnt happen to like a shop that you have never even done business with, but always seem to defend for some reason?
Actually, I would have had no problem "listening" to him had he not introduced the bias. For me, the "red flag" instantly went up. Why not just post as the title teased? IMHO it would have stood on its own well.

Cheers!
Old September 15th 2003, 17:23

Quote:
Just because I haven't purchased any products from the "shop" everyone's so carefully avoiding mentioning, doesn't mean I haven't received immeasurable technical assistance from "him, " FOR FREE, during HIS valuable time, which I couldn't get from some of the other highly lauded shops mentioned here and elsewhere.

vujade, let's not kid ourselves; SuperRSi wasn't "just" trying to provide info on other T-IV engine sources (which is just fine); it was just the vain attempt to take a jab at an old rival that seemed silly, that's all.

You wanna tout your sources, that's all well and good ... but at least allow me the opportunity to defend mine. BTW: Danny! See you changed to another log-in ID! Great!

Last edited by Rouser; September 15th 2003 at 17:27.
Old September 15th 2003, 22:03
Superman

This whole ordeal just needs to stop and Danny's new screen name has also been noticed by the Moderators. All this is just too much drama... it is our hobby and is suppost to be fun.
Old September 19th 2003, 03:00
Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by PRVWCLUB
now what is the problem with Danny
This user has been banned.
Old October 12th 2003, 01:50

Wink

Um ... OK, Danny, whatever you want us to believe.

Your secret's safe with us ...