GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old August 25th 2004, 02:15

narrowed beam v. Wider fenders?

i was wondering is there a old post that goes through this I couldn't find one. If not which route did you chose and why?

Any suggestions to me, I want steering and wide wheels. So far it seems like I have to use wider fenders cause a narrowed beam will cause a loss in steering. And I really don't know if its a lot or a little. Any help, or if you even just got you experience with your setup please let me know.

thanks
rip
Old August 25th 2004, 09:27

I narrowed beam will only cause a loss of steering if the offset and the width of the wheels doesnt make up for the narrowing of the beam.

When people narrow their beams alot (more then 3") and then use stock width wheels (4.5") thats when it effects steering. When you narrow your beam 2" to 3" and then use 7" wide wheels you should end up with about the same widht track as stock.

When you dont narrow your beam and you use wide wheels, you end up making the track wider, which in turns makes your turning radius larger and makes it more difficult to steer the car, especially from a starting position.

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old August 25th 2004, 17:24

I chose the wider fenders route because I liked the look and I wanted increased track for improved grip. I went overkill for the look, adding 2" front and 3" rear eventhough the wheels (6x16 F, 7x16 R Fuchs) didn't needed it. The drawback of the overkill fender approach is expensive wheel spacers ($330/set). A wider wheel could have been used for about the same added weight as the spacers for less money, but I wanted the Fuchs classic look. The 1.5" and 2.5" spacers I'm getting weigh 3 and 5 lbs each and the wheels are 17 and 18 lbs.

Either way you go, add up the effects to cost, performance and asthetics before you decide.
Old August 26th 2004, 01:15

yep thats why I keep asking these questions, I been posting on other forums and get similar answers but I also get a better understanding on what needs to take place with each way.

thanks for the help
rip
Old August 26th 2004, 01:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by vujade
I narrowed beam will only cause a loss of steering if the offset and the width of the wheels doesnt make up for the narrowing of the beam.
I get that part. The amount you narrow needs to be close to what you increase the track.

Quote:
When you dont narrow your beam and you use wide wheels, you end up making the track wider, which in turns makes your turning radius larger and makes it more difficult to steer the car, especially from a starting position.
okay makes sense. Wider track means the turning radius is increased.

Quote:
When people narrow their beams alot (more then 3") and then use stock width wheels (4.5") thats when it effects steering. When you narrow your beam 2" to 3" and then use 7" wide wheels you should end up with about the same widht track as stock.
Heres where I get lost. If you make the track wider the turning radiuis increased. So shouldn't using a smaller track make the turning radius smaller?

This guys with narrowed beams and small rims should get better steering, right?

Or is it because when this guys narrow their beams they run into clearance issues like the back of the tire hitting the inner fender well. Thus needing to adjust their steering stops. And they lose their turning radius that way?

-------------------------------------

To sum up guys with bigger rims will use a narrowed beam to regain the offset caused by rims, spacers, and the brakes. Thus keeping a close to stock track, because a track increase will increase the turning radius.

Guys with smaller rims with a narrowed beams will just pull the wheel in, unfortunately when done they will lose turning radius not because of track issues but instead because of clearance problems. The wheels will hit the inner fender wells and thus the steering locks must be changed increasing their turning radius.

Is this right? Comments please.

thanks
rip
Old August 30th 2004, 09:11

Rip, your "sum up" is correct. The other consideration is tire size and clearance. A narrowed beam will tuck wider tires under the stock fenders, but provide less "lock to lock" movement without hitting the body.
Old November 2nd 2004, 09:43

Personally, i would go with the wider fenders. It just looks so awesome when you see this wide, low bug with fenders sitting right on top of the wheels sitting there.
Old November 18th 2004, 04:56

Rip,

This is a interesting topic, I have a 4 1/2" narrowed beam with 18"X 7.5" rims.

I personal don't like the look of wide fenders as it throws out the proportions of the car, the use of wide fenders is proably the cheapest option but the narrowed beam in my mind is the coolest.

When you look at a beetle that is lowered sitting on big rims and with stock fenders, you know that there has been a lot of work go in to make it happen. You will lose a bit of lock in doing it, but the only time you use that much lock is getting in and out of car parks.

The Idea behind narrowing with big wheels is to narrow the beam far enough to have room to fit spacers to widen the distance between the shock towers and body and the back of the wheel. I use a 25mm/ 1" spacer on my wheels.

I won't lie to you it has taken a fair amount of work to get it right, but there are plenty of guys who will be able to give you advice.

Go narrow!!!

Paul Grey
Auckland, New Zealand
paulgnz@hotmail.com

Last edited by paulgrey; November 18th 2004 at 05:01.
Old November 21st 2004, 09:17

I like to be able to turn in parking lots...I say wider fenders if you want more than 5.5"-6" of wheel in the front and a lower-than-stock ride height...assuming the offset/spacers are correct.
Old November 29th 2004, 05:26

It can be done... 18" X 7.5" et 45... stock fenders and a pretty good turning circle.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/alb...p?pic_id=98271
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/alb...p?pic_id=98270
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/alb...p?pic_id=98269
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/alb...p?pic_id=98268

Paul Grey
Auckland, New Zealand
paulgnz@hotmail.com